Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:55 pm 
forum fanatic

Having assembled my MK 1 any number of times now it should be fairly easy for me...and it is except for rib #3. I have watched Mark do it on his assembly video a bunch of times and he makes it look easy. I have never found getting rib #3 into place easy. A big part of the problem is that I can't really see the locking tabs, so getting them to aline with the mating slots is sort of blind man's bluff. Anyone else struggle with this? Any suggestions? My old Klepper AE1 was easier to assemble than my MK1 is and rib #3 is the reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I don't have the MK1 but I'd love to hear how you like it compared to the AE1...

Meanwhile, is rib #3 the one that you would use the spreader bar for? My Ute has one midsection rib that is probably similar to your #3 and I used the spreader the first few times I assembled the boat. If you have the spreader or make one for that spot it may give you a little flexibility in aligning the piece without having to spread the gunnels at the same time. Making sure the bottom clips and tongues are well seated should make the pieces slide together pretty easily. At least that's been my experience.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

It seemed to me the more I put my MK2 together last year (25 times) the easier it got. Once in a while, I would have a rib that was misaligned and it would be easier when I went back and did it right or slower. I enjoy building the MK2 but I enjoy being on the water more so I tend to get in a hurry at times. Hast makes waste as they say.

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 pm 
forum fanatic

I do have and use the spreader bar. I agree that it gets easier to assemble the boat with practice, but that is true for every folder. And with practice I am still struggling with rib #3. There might be no fix for this glitch.

As far as the MK1 vs. the AE1, both boats that seem so similar on paper turn out to be quite different to own and use. In terms of build quality and general style of course, they are more similar than different. The AE1 has less initial stability than the MK1, making the latter a much more comfortable boat to paddle, especially for big people. Fishing out of the MK1 is easier for the same reason. Both have enough rocker to make the use of the rudder a real good plan, especially in windy conditions on open water. Since I live in Florida, the rudder is needed for most of my paddling. The MK1 rudder is superior to the Klepper item, more control, easier to assemble, easier to put up or down from the cockpit out on the water. The MK1 is 9" longer than the AE1 and that length is all between the seat and rib #3. I am 5'11" with a 33" inseam. On the AE1 that meant my heels were resting on top of rib #3. On the MK1 my heels are well behind rib #3. That small difference makes a huge difference in comfort for people my size or larger. This difference is actually what motivated my decision to switch boats. Both my AE1 and my MK1 are Expedition models, which means, among other things, that they have extra rub strips to protect the hull. This feature translates to extra weight. The MK1 is about 2 lbs. heavier than my AE1 was. Both boats are very high quality of course. The MK1, though, is better if you look closely. My Mk1 has the Seamark (nee Sunbrella) deck material option in lieu of traditional cotton. My AE1 was cotton. Neither material does enough breathing to matter and on hot, humid days these boats get warmish below the deck. No different in this respect from my all fiberglass boat. The Seamark does not absorb water so stuff stored in the hold stays dry in all conditions. Cotton decks absorb water in use and the boat gets noticeably heavier. Seamark drys very fast too, which is nice if you want to disassemble and store your boat soon after use. Cotton used to take a day or so in my garage with the dehumidifier running before I could fold up the boat. The AE1 frame is varnished nicely with 2 coats of varnish. The MK1 has three coats, is dipped for heavier film thickness, just a bit nicer. The two boats assemble differently. In my opinion, the MK1 tab/slot/cotter stainless steel fastening system is stronger, less prone to wear or failure over time, but heavier and not as easy to assemble as the Klepper aluminum spring clip system is. Offsetting that, though, is that the MK1 uses a system similar to Folbot for the bow and stern frame pieces which is much simpler to assemble and just as secure. The MK1 comfort seat is the seat of choice and AE1 owners can buy and use the comfort seat too. What else? Both boats are heavy to carry and expensive to travel with these days. If the plan is to fly often taking your boat with you, neither of these boats is ideal. They are just too big, bulky and heavy for extensive travel. On the other hand, if salt water is part of the play ground, wood framed kayaks like these or the also excellent Nautiraid, are almost impervious to it. Boeshield not needed. I love these boats, the MK1 most of all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

B, thanks, that's a great review.

Glad you mentioned the fishing because that's important to me. Is the MK1 cockpit larger than the AE1 or about the same? Is it possible to move around in the cockpit, like getting up to a kneeling position for fishing or adjusting the sail?

Finally how do you find the straight line speed comparison between the two? Does one get to speed better than the other and stay there?

It's great that you are so familiar with these two boats and are sharing your thoughts. I've been wanting a MK1 for a while. The weight scares me a bit... but I think I want the extra length. I'm not as tall as you, 5-8, and I see AE1s out there for reasonable prices. Not too many MK1s hit the used market. Unfortunately (for my wallet) I like the idea of supporting Mark as well. But those AE1s can be tempting.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 pm 
forum fanatic

DLee wrote:
B, thanks, that's a great review.

Glad you mentioned the fishing because that's important to me. Is the MK1 cockpit larger than the AE1 or about the same? Is it possible to move around in the cockpit, like getting up to a kneeling position for fishing or adjusting the sail?

Finally how do you find the straight line speed comparison between the two? Does one get to speed better than the other and stay there?

It's great that you are so familiar with these two boats and are sharing your thoughts. I've been wanting a MK1 for a while. The weight scares me a bit... but I think I want the extra length. I'm not as tall as you, 5-8, and I see AE1s out there for reasonable prices. Not too many MK1s hit the used market. Unfortunately (for my wallet) I like the idea of supporting Mark as well. But those AE1s can be tempting.

d

You are welcome. If there is a difference in speed between these two boats it is negligible as far as I can tell. I have a Kajaksport Millenium (i.e. fast, sleek, 18'3"x21" fiberglass) that is much faster in calm water, but in rough conditions I can cover more water in either an AE1 or the MK1. More forward stroke paddling and less bracing accounts for this difference. The cockpit of the AE1 and MK1 are identical dimensionally. I find them restrictive and can't imagine getting up to a kneeling position, but perhaps a smaller person would find this possible. Assuming your 5'8" self could pull this off, the MK1 for sure would be the better boat to try it in because it is a much more stable boat. These boats are heavy, 78-80 lbs. for the Expedition models. Talk to Mark as he has modifications available to make the boat lighter weight. Different hull material and some fiberglass frame pieces if my memory serves (more along the lines of what Feathercraft uses, still good durable materials). As far as advice on buying a used AE1 or a new MK1 goes, again talk to Mark as he can help you either way. I bought my AE1 used from Mark and he sold it for me when I decided to trade up to a new MK1. These are great boats either way. If you haven't done so, you should take a look at Nautiraid, too, which is definitely top shelf. But as I wrote yesterday, the ultimate boat for me is a MK1.