Mark I

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Mark I

Post by Christov10 »

This morning, I talked with Mark at Longhaul and will be purchasing an MK1. We talked last week about the Seavivor I was on the verge of buying and during that conversation I asked if he had any discount, demo, or blems he'd be willing to sell for less than full price. He identified a new-decked used expedition hull and a frame he's been putting together from odd parts as they've become available. In yesterday's email I got the photos they took of the hull, deck, and parts - most of them still need to have hardware installed. Blue, Seamark expedition deck sewn onto a hull belonging to a coastal customer who'd worn out the previous deck; heavy keelstrips, expedition hull. So, maybe before freezing weather, I'll have a stout solo kayak to use on the lakes around here. My Folbot Aleut is fine for just monkeying around along the shoreline but not so much for windy lake crossings.

Rob
forum fanatic

Re: Mark I

Post by Rob »

Congrats on the new kayak.

I'd like to hear what you think of it, once you get it and have paddled around a bit.

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

I'll be glad to write up my impressions and am looking forward to getting this MK1.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

You’ll love it. I’m still very much enamored of my Mark 1, which was from the first batch, I think. Like an AI with more stability, better tracking, and a slightly higher hull speed.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

You've had that for years, now, haven't you? Has it held up well? Okay for long day trips? What length paddle are you using? I know - a lot of questions I have with limited social skills.

I've just bought a 240 cm Werner Camano from an Ebay seller - if that turns out to be too long, I can use it with my RZ96. I've been using that metal tipped Klepper paddle I've had since about 2004 or 05 for my wider boats.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I’ve got several paddles, my favorite being a Werner that’s no longer made, the Arctic Wind. I’d tell you the lengths, but all my gear has been stashed in the garage loft for the winter.

It’s still in great shape, although admittedly I’ve only used it for day trips for most of the time I’ve owned it. As I approach 70 I’m less and less inclined to do any wilderness camping.
Michael Edelman

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

70? I thought you were about my age but much more a Da Vinci style Renaissance man. We do seem to pick up speed as we move through time.

The Werner paddle was waiting on my front porch when I got back yesterday from a short vacation. Scuffed with the release button kind of funky, but I am at fault for not having requested better photos, etc. I think it will work fine - will work on the button and most of my paddles are scuffed. Really looking forward to getting the Mark I. Will phone today to get an ETA.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I’m 66, but I can see 70 approaching faster than I’d like 😁
Michael Edelman

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

Perhaps a bit off topic here but paddling into old age is, for me as well as other committed paddlers, a topic well worth discussing. I’m now we’ll into my 79th year and must learn to deal intelligently with the vagaries and vicissitudes of the aging body if I wish to paddle into my 80s.

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

I'm 56 and a bit fatter than I'd like. Haven't paddled regularly for about 10 years but have put thousands of miles on a couple of bicycles and this year have done strength training in a local gym's weight room about 4-6 days a week. My shoulders ache from a couple of falls using clip-in pedals a year ago last July, but they're getting better. Glucosamine seems to help, some. Maybe placebo effect, but effect is effect and I'll take it. As to accommodating my aging body to paddling, I'm even thinking about springing for Yakima Rack and Roll trailer over against car-topping. Who'd've thought?

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Have you looked into Greenland paddles at all?
For the older paddler and anyone really, they are less stressful on the muscles, better in windy conditions and you can make one yourself(out of a 2x4 if your really on a budget.)
They do not look like they work because it is just a stick, but they work really well. Better then you might think.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

I use a slim paddle that my father cut from a 2x4. I prefer it to wider paddles unless I really need power. I am middle aged and fairly fit, but I have dislocated and fractured one shoulder and separated the other (not while paddling!). I definitely use aids for car-topping, dollies for moving over ground, and shopping for lighter boats.

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

I made a truly awful Greenland style paddle some years ago and used it for a while, later bought a better Greenland style paddle online made by a guy named Eric Renshaw - I don't think he's still making them. Used that latter paddle extensively on a Pouch single I used to have. Yes, much better on my shoulders. Last few times I've paddled, though, have used European style paddles and emphasized torso rotation so there was little if any shoulder pain associated with those efforts. I hurt my shoulders pretty badly when I was in my early twenties bench pressing more weight than I should have tried to lift.

Edited to correct a mis-spelled word. First cup of coffee.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

If you use the real Greenland technique, the paddles generate a surprising amount of lift, they don’t flutter, and when you let up, they automatically rise to the surface with no effort. I used Feathercraft’s Klatwa paddle with my K1.
Michael Edelman

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

A few years ago I borrowed a GP to see if I might like it but I found this particular paddle at about 240cm much to long. I prefer shorter paddles, nothing longer than 220cm. I’m now paddling with a 210cm Werner Shuna and a 220 Epic Relaxed Touring and find them both efficient and easy on the shoulders. Getting out of the kayak, especially in a foot of water has become a problem. Both of my hips have been replaced with after-market parts and the older I get the more difficult it becomes to lift my legs free of the cockpit. I’m now paddling an Aironaut which has a long cockpit but egress is still dicey. Perhaps an open, SOT inflatable that will allow me to simply fall into and roll out of might be the solution.

Return to “Long Haul”