Mark I First Paddle

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Mark I First Paddle

Post by Christov10 »

Today I paddled my Long Haul Mark I for the first time.

Before leaving the house, I unpinned and moved up - that is closer to Rib #3 - the rudder pedals, then adjusted the rudder cables by changing the number of chain links from 12 to 15 from the end. I had to remove the spray deck to get to the pedals. Unpinning the pedal assembly was easy; pinning it back was really difficult. Doubtless that's why the assembly video, Mark instructs the viewer to attach the pedals before the bow half is inserted into the skin.

The Mark I cartopped easily, didn't need foam blocks or anything other than the standard Volvo branded crossbars I've had for about 10 years. At home, my neighbor offered to help load the kayak, but when I was done paddling today, I used the car's front door to hold the bow end and then lifted the stern onto the rear rack. Then bow to front rack from the door's top. Maybe I'll get one of those Seattle Sports load assists that suction cups to the car's back window.

Getting into the kayak using the spray deck's smallish opening, I found it necessary to lay my paddle across the back of the cockpit with leftmost end leaning onto the shallowest water with the kayak parallel to the shore. The paddle took all my upper body's weight as I squeezed my legs into the deck's opening. Easier to manage after a couple of times, but not so easy initially.

As I started paddling away, the left rudder pedal cable-chain pulled loose from the pedal. I thought I'd attached it securely, but I was mistaken. Reattaching the chain link to the pedal's carabiner while negotiating the spraydeck's opening with my head and shoulders kneeling in shallow water was again very difficult but teeth can sometimes serve as a third hand. Got it done and again got underway. Rudder assembly with pedals worked great.

So, what I was immediately aware of was feeling weak or out of shape and therefore not stable as I started paddling this boat. It has been a long time since I've done any serious paddling, but I lift weights every day, ride bikes pretty much every day and therefore thought I'd be a stronger paddler. Not today I wasn't, although I eventually got into the ab-crunch/torso-rotation robotic rhythm I remembered from the years I paddled every day I could, almost like a religion replete with guilt if I missed a day. I think a different paddle might help me feel more in control/stronger relative to moving the kayak forward.

My Werner Camano at 240 cm is too long for the Mark I - a couple of times I over-levered a stroke that in a less stable kayak would've got me in the water. 225 to 230 would work better for me. Next time, though, I'll take my Greenland paddle and try that out.

The kayak stayed dry inside - more so than some of the other folders I've used - not really any appreciable water at the keel/bilge today. Although the water wasn't rough and the wind was 10 mph or less. I was on the water for about three and a half hours. Not sure how many miles that was because the Apple Watch "Paddle" workout monitor doesn't map the route paddled like the "Outdoor Cycling" workout monitor maps the route pedaled. Still, burned a lot of calories.

The Long Haul Comfort Seat needed to be reinflated a little less than halfway through my time in the boat. It is pretty comfortable, but I think I will have to move the seat forward a bit. Because I'm getting older and have damaged my body in automobile wrecks, trying to lift too heavy when I was a younger man, bicycle crashes, and so forth - I experienced some back pain, some sciatic nerve pain, bilateral shoulder pain. Shoulder pain probably has more to do with faulty paddling form, though, as much as anything else.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Mark I First Paddle

Post by Yakadoodle »

Congratulations on dipping your blades!
Regarding the seat. I've looked at the sest snd couldn't tell if the backrest was inflatable as well as the seat?

If there is no lower back support I was thinking that the Thermorest Lumber Pad might fit below the back support pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Lumba ... th=1&psc=1

Once you get your body tuned again to the rhythm of paddling everything will fall into place as your muscles will remember the rhythm.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Thanks! It was weird remembering by doing versus thinking much in words about the torso rotation windup and unwind, ab-crunch robotically repetitive paddling that eventually gets me there and back. What I did think in words about was the boat's size, heaviness versus my relative weakness overall, then remembered that the world over there're a lot of people with less physical strength than I have who paddle better than I do - that it's technique over strength. Not that I'm any Lou Ferrigno or anything. The other cool thing relative to thought and body yesterday was that I spent hours seeing clearly in daylight without needing the Rx lenses I'm used to wearing for reading and completing work-related documentation.

About that seat - it annoyingly tends to flip forward if not held back. I had to use a short bungie to correct the problem

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11192505@ ... ed-public/

The comfort seat's backrest isn't inflatable, at least I saw no self-inflation valve on it. I think the Long Haul Comfort seats formerly came with a lumbar support like the you linked to. I'd have to figure out how to keep it in place. Maybe just my weight would do it and then have to remember to put it back when getting back into the boat.

Here's a picture of the front door loading/unloading trick I've habitually used for heavy, wood framed folders:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11192505@ ... ed-public/

Maybe what I really need is one of those Yakima Rack and Roll trailers. I'll have trouble justifying that expense.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Christov10 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:31 pm
The comfort seat's backrest isn't inflatable, at least I saw no self-inflation valve on it. I think the Long Haul Comfort seats formerly came with a lumbar support like the you linked to. I'd have to figure out how to keep it in place.
I used Velcro to hold a Thermo-Rest seat pad in place. It worked for a while, but eventually came free of the Thermo-Rest pad.
I'd like to find out what the brand of Velcro that Folbot originally used to hold the spray skirt in place-that Velcro is long lasting!

Christov10 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:31 pm
Maybe what I really need is one of those Yakima Rack and Roll trailers. I'll have trouble justifying that expense.
Good luck trying to find a used one..."rare" is an understatement, but they do come up on craigslist every once in a while.
An alternative to the Yakima trailer is the "Sportsrig" trailer. Same basic design, but made in steel in America. The older version of it with motorcycle spoke wheels allowed the wheels to fold flat against the bottom.
https://www.sportsrig.com/

Here's one posted about 8 hours ago in San Francisco area for $650.00
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tro/d/ ... 42767.html
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Here's one of those Yakima trailers in Chattanooga. Wife just told me no, we don't need to spend the money on that right now. It's sort of what I wanted to hear because we've spent a bundle already on that new kayak and a Queen Plus American Leather Klein Comfort Sleeper. That's a sleeper sofa that cost more than my Prius. More than my wife's Rainbow vacuum. But if you ever come to visit, you'll have a comfortable place to sleep.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/spo/ ... 59120.html

Return to “Long Haul”