Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am 
Hi all,

I have a grand raid expedition 520 (or is it 540). I have broken a couple of ribs. The middle one (no 5 i believe from a beginner stoker putting too much foot pressure) and either 4 or 6 (the less wider of the two - it can actually be assembled interchangeably). i have been emailing France will little joy. Soooo can someone pls advise which is the wider so I can place an order?

thanks in anticipation.

Paul McKay
Melb Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:42 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello Paul, did you eventually get those ribs replaced.

I've been looking at the specs of the Nautiraid boats and they look good on
paper but your experience with snapping ribs and having difficulty getting
replacements is not inspiring.

Tim W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 pm 
I would also be interested to know if the ribs were replaced. In the process of moving and packing up my boats (because I'd rather do it than let the movers try it :)), I cracked one of the ribs on my Greenlander. Can't paddle it right now because it's still at home, but I'd like to know if this is going to be simple enough to replace or if I should try to make a new one out of marine plywood.

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 am 
I have broken a number of the ribs on my Raid 1 460, where they hinge on the keel and deck bar. This is a weak point that needs special care during assembly.

Repair is easy. Sandwich with aluminum plate cut to size, 1/8" or even 1/16" if that is what you have on hand, and through bolt with small diameter stainless bolts. Epoxy broken wood together during assembly. Much stronger than original and very little weight.

Even after repair, care is needed to avoid breakage. I find that the problem is that my hands are not able to exert precise pressure where needed. To compensate I use a rubber mallet. Of course this must6 be used with care, but it works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:58 pm 
forum fan

You may fin this plan useful Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:02 am 
Hi Ron et al, I havent replaced them yet. I patched them together - one with some steel braces that are now well coroded and one with some timber. It is working well enough at the moment. I also had a play with making my own and cut some braces from marine ply but couldn't find a source for some solid brass rivets as it seems to require. I also made a few inquiries to the factory but they were not overly helpful.

Also fwiw one broke in a river when we encountered a hidden submerged log - we were paddling away with a current of around 3kph and the boat hit the log with snapped it. the other broke when a beginner paddler buddy of mine used it as a bracing board for his fett - ugh.

Paul