Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:36 pm 
forum fan

Hello,
I've bought a second hand Nautiraid 416 alu touring, but I've some problems assembling it.
I can't insert completely the wedge (the rounded triangle) into the stern, so the needle can't block it in place.
I can close the fastener anyway, and the skin looks thight, but I'm not sure I can trust it.
Anybody out there has a good tip to put the wedge in the right position?
Thank you in advance,

Bye

Michele

Janautica Alaska
Nautiraid 416 Touring Alu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:21 pm 
Hi Michelle,

I have a 416 also as well as an ancient Raid II. It really took me awhile to dial in the little 416, even though it was new when I got it, the kayak was about seven years old. I have the instructions but I found it easier to just spend time and use it as a puzzle.

The first puzzle was trying to assemble the frame quickly. I've found if you set up the backbone (the single bottom tube), with all the ribs attached, then assemble the other tubes and snap them to the ribs, it goes quickly. The bow stem and stern just fit to the tubes very quickly and easily. Then just slide into the skin.

The second problem I had was the same as yours, getting the stern tightening shim to lock in place. The first thing I did was the polish the sliding shim with fine sandpaper to get a minimum of friction. The skin fits really tight so I would have to work it and make sure it is in place. Then to get the shim piece to tighten it all up I would pull on the handle while stepping down on it hard. It works but is so tight it kind of kinks, so the stern isn't exactly straight. Doesn't hurt the kayak and really doesn't matter in the water, especially if you use a rudder.

The third puzzle I had was the inflatable sponsons. They are made of vinyl and mine were brittle so they developed leaks and as soon as I patched them, they would develop another leak. I called Folbot and got a pair from one of their small singles, worked perfect.

The next puzzle was trying to get it to fit me well. It is a pretty small kayak and I'm six foot three. I ended up shaving the ribs so I could brace better and have a little more room. Once I did that, I like the kayak a lot. It sets up in less than 15 minutes so I would take it up to the lake and paddle for an hour a couple time a week.

I'm here in Florida now and only had room for one kayak so I brought the big Raid II but I miss the little one. I found I used it a lot more because it was so simple and playful in the water.

Rich H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:08 pm 
forum fan

Thanks a lot,
I'll try sanding the shim,

best regards

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:37 pm 
Michele,

You will also want to get some BoShield to use on the alloy tubes where they fit together. It is a spray that dries into a wax and discourages corrosion, allows you to take the tubes apart. It is also good to use if two different metals join, salt water corrodes these fast.

These are a very pretty kayak when you get them together.

Rich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 pm 
is anybody able & willing to send me the assembly/user-manual of the 416 aluminium? i bought a used 416 without really understanding how to combine the parts (the rudder etc and all), the seller promised to send the manual but now says he does not find it ... - a pdf would be fine! personal photos of the best sequence of work somewhere to be found? thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:59 am 
forum fan

Here is the manual, of a newer version than my boat is.
Anyway it works.
Take a look at the 416 at

http://www.kayakdemer.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=533

Best regards
Michele

eddie wrote:
is anybody able & willing to send me the assembly/user-manual of the 416 aluminium? i bought a used 416 without really understanding how to combine the parts (the rudder etc and all), the seller promised to send the manual but now says he does not find it ... - a pdf would be fine! personal photos of the best sequence of work somewhere to be found? thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:21 am 
merci bien. but that is only for members. anyway: meanwhile i have the little paper myself. i scanned it and if anybody needs it i can provide a pdf. WHY DOES NAUTIRAID NOT PROVIDE THAT ON THEIR SITE? if i would not be in doubt about legal stuff i would offer it to download myself ...