Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Racing K1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:50 am 
recent arrival

I'm intrigued by the racing K1. Who has one? Impressions, opinions - ease and speed of assembly, performance, handling. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Racing K1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:31 pm 
Racing K1 is a composite surf ski (not foldable and not made by Feathercraft). Foldable Feathercraft K1 is a different boat, by coincidence having same name - definitely not the slowest folder, but hardly a racing one. I would rather imagine Wisper or Khatsalano as a "racing" folder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 pm 
recent arrival

Nautiraid makes a folding kayak they call the "folding lane racing K1." This one:

http://race.fit2paddle.com/C1159474119/ ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:01 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm 
Looks like racing indeed. I wonder how many of them was sold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 am 
Hallo trentschler,
I´ve one and I must say that I would buy it again.
The boat is fantastic.
It´s great that Nautiraid took the risk to build such a special boat.
In January 2005, when I read the news that Birgit Fischer and Nautiraid show this new Kayak on the "Boot" in Düsseldorf I knew that I must have this boat.
So I drove the 450km, ordered the boat (I was the first!) and four months later I could take it from the Kanu-Connection in Berlin (the canoe-store from the former canoe-world-champions Andreas Wohllebe and Frank Fischer, the brother of Birgit Fischer).
My brother ordered his Nautiraid racing-singleseater 3 days after me, because he couldn´t deal with the feeling that I have such a kayak and he doesn´t :) .
The narrow boat (42cm = 16,54") is really tippy. I paddle it only in places where I would bath and not in my dirty homeriver.
I think it´s the fastest folding kayak ever built. Nevertheless I´m faster in my racing Klepper FI from 1936 with it´s 450*65cm-size. Though it is also not very stable I can paddle it fast without taking care the whole time not to capsize. I also have some Eskimo-Foldingkayaks built in the thirties of the last century - these boats are also much more stable in the water, though they all have a width of less than 50cm.
Assemblying the Nautiraid takes around 20minutes.

Thank you for the link where you can see this very good. My boat needs the same kicks at the stern to fit into it´s skin.
The both people working in this film are Birgit Fischer and Bruno Maitre, he represents Nautiraid in Germany.

Regards
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:09 pm 
Quote:
...my racing Klepper FI from 1936 with it´s 450*65cm-size

Racing boat 65 cm wide, no mistake here?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:58 am 
Alm wrote:
Quote:
...my racing Klepper FI from 1936 with it´s 450*65cm-size

Racing boat 65 cm wide, no mistake here?

No, that is no mistake.
The racing folding singles had a maximum length of 450cm (the rigid racing KI 520 cm as today) and a width of 65 cm or more (rigid 51 cm).
Also the size of the boats under water was prescribed:
In a height of 7 cm over the keel the boats had to have a minimum width of 44 cm (1 m in front of the middle 38 cm and 1 m behind the middle 28 cm).
The singles had to weigh 15 kg or more, the minimum side height was 23 cm.
I´ve taken these measures out of the chapter for international canoe-races from the "Kanu-Wettfahrtbestimmungen" from the "Nationalsozialistischer Reichsbund für Leibesübungen" printed 1937. They were also valid at the olympic games 1936 - the first time when canoeing was an olympic discipline.

The racing Klepper is an absolute nice boat with a fragile frame with it´s triangular length parts (in Germany we call them "Sente") and ribs made of 3mm plywood surrounded on the inside by small stripes of ash to gain a little bit of stability with minimum weight.

With such a boat Gregor Hradetzky won the 10 kilometre distance in 50.01.02 minutes.

Greetings
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:42 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hallo Michael,

wie nennt man den "racing Klepper" auf Deutsch? Dieses Modell ist mir unbekannt und ich möchte mehr darüber lesen.

Ich bedanke mich im Voraus!

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:30 am 
Renneiner or Olympia Einer 1936. I found photos of Renneiner 1935: http://typen.faltboot.de/f0012_faltboottypvariante.php

klick on >infos Variante< and >Spantenreihe<

Ok, from a modern point of view these are not true racing kayaks at all.

If the link does not work klick on >Klepper Faltbootwerft< and then >Renneiner 1935<.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just found an active link to the video of the Nautiraid K1 being assembled (the old link no longer works)
http://www.keystonekayaks.com/new_kayak_018.htm

I'm in Berlin for work in a couple of weeks' time so will be taking Kanuconnection's K1 for a test paddle....
http://www.kanu-connection.de/boote/faltboote/faltkajaks/nautiraid-falteiner-rennkajak-2.htm

....albeit with some trepidation after seeing these photos from a German 2005 kayak meet
http://www.bernhard.zobel-wittenberg.de/index%20faltboottreffen%20bleiloch%202005.htm

Hopefully the fact that it's skin-on-frame and that it appears that the (high) seat can be removed to allow you to sit lower on a foam pad means I'll stand a chance of staying upright in it long enough to get a feel for it. I've also seen recommendations to partly swamp K1s to make them more stable! :-)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:55 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Good on you Simon, hope it works out. I am actually a little surprised at the price, looks like a high quality, low production number that must be expensive to make. Is the price still $2,500 euros?
And thanks for the pics. There is a really useful pic of a guy using his paddle to stabilize his kayak at the shoreline for stable entry. Someone on this forum described that method, I don't recall who, but this picture is worth a thousand words.
Let us know how you make out, please,

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:56 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Well, that was interesting...

The wonderful people at Kanu Connection in Berlin took me and their K1 (the original one, apparently) to a local lake to try it out. I removed the racing seat and sat on a one inch foam block and following Andre's instructions for how to get in, set off.....
It's incredibly tippy at first, even sitting a couple of inches lower than the racing seat, but then, and only if you can relax completely so that your centre of gravity drops, it's not that bad, and when I was relaxed I could even sit still in it without having to brace (but only just). Underway it's more stable, as long as you remain relaxed, expect for the fact that there is nothing to brace your knees against. The problem was that it was a cold, windy wet day and even though I was wearing a wet suit I had bare legs and kept shivering. Shivering=not relaxed= very tippy.
The other thing is that there is very limited room for your feet, and mine are size 7.5, so how bigger people manage I don't know. This means that it was difficult to operate the tiller between your feet to steer it. Fortunately, in good old Nautiraid fashion, the kayak is quite flexible, so unlike a hardshell K1 there's lots of rocker and it turns quite easily with paddle strokes.
It's so narrow (43 cm at the widest point behind the cockpit) that it's really fast with almost no effort, but my lowered butt was squeezed between the chines (thin walled 20mm tubing) and I wasn't very comfortable
It's well built with injection moulded cross ribs and a couple of wedge inserts at the stern that are pulled into place to tension the skin using a cord over pulley system, and a full length aft deck zip, adjustable foot board and a tiny rudder.

Unfortunately I think it's just too unstable for what I had in mind - using it at sea in the summer months. Andre said that it's wider than the original prototype so that it can take a 90 kg individual, and is based on a top level Playtex K1 but is more stable as it's skin on frame - he estimated that it had a stability of 3 on the 1 to 10 scale, with 1 being for Olympic level competitors. He also said that he was impressed by how well I managed, but I think lowering the seat must've helped a lot. I hate to think how unstable the orginal prototype was.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island