Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just got my new 'large' Feathercraft seasock in time for my first outing with my Narak. The seasock fits the Narak like it was made for it, which is just as well as the standard Nautiraid spraydeck doesn't...
I thought Feathercraft seasocks came with velcro straps to keep them up off your feet. Mine didn't but on my first outing this wasn't a problem - I think the huge cockpit the Narak has helps here. I couldn't believe how clean the inside of the boat was when I packed it up again, despite assembling it on a sandy beach.

Now I just have to get the Nautiraid spray deck to stay put. It won't locate at the sides and keeps coming adrift there, as if it's a bit too narrow, especially with the seasock, so I may try making a small hole in the front of the neoprene lip that covers the elastic cord on the spraydeck and fitting one of those sliding cleat thingies to get the cord tighter. Does anyone think if I'll need an eyelet to stop the hole in neoprene from spreading?

If the above doesn't work I'll either have to try MoeJoe's trick of cutting a longer groove in the coaming or the technique I found on the German Faltboot forum of adding ball headed screws to the side of the coaming to locate the spraydeck, although I'm a bit worried that this would mean it might not come off easily enough in an emergency

Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:07 am 
faltbootemeister

Hi,

That was interesting and good news, about the FC seasock. Didn't expect that, as the Narak's cockpit rim is longer (but more narrow) . You're talking about the normal "Large", right? The one for FC cockpit size " 75x46 cm"

About the spray skirt, I have the same problems, reduced now after using bronze screws to attach a nylon rope around the coaming. Better, but not secure enough, still comes off sometimes, could be problematic if in high seas..
But might be worth trying the FC Large spray skirt then.

I'll head over to the local FC dealer in Stockholm when I have some time and see how it fits on the Narak.

Blog: jarladventures.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I checked with Feathercraft Canada and the size I got is just called 'Large'. I was told it's the normal large one, which they also said is the largest they make (it's the large one on their web site). They were incredibly helpful and friendly over the phone, by the way.

The only possible proviso is that I have no idea how it'd work for someone with long legs as mine are pretty short (I'm 175 cm tall but with a long torso) I like to sit quite far back in the cockpit and my kneecaps only just locate on the knee braces - working out how to get them lower and more central with the seasock in place is my next challenge :-)

I managed to make the spraydeck fit much better on the coaming by tightening the coaming bolts less, which allowed me to get both the seasock and the spraydeck lips well under the coaming at the front and rear just either side of the coaming bolts. You can still feel the wingnuts with your fingers through the seasock if you want to tighten up the bolts more later.The spraydeck still only just sits over the side of the coaming in the middle part, as it's not really wide enough IMO, but it no longer slips off by itself or when bumped. I haven't had my Narak out in surf yet though.

Took it out again on Saturday in very gusty conditions and found the slight weathercocking (with me sitting well aft in the cockpit) fairly easy to control, so I don't regret not getting the rudder, and don't think I'll even bother with the Feathercraft or Grabner skegs being used by paddlers on the Faltboot forum. I also used the inflatable hip bolsters for the first time and found they took just enough of my weight to make the seat a lot more comfortable.

Very curious to know if the Feathercraft spray deck fits better :-)

Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island