Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narak in force 6 winds
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I was out in the Narak today with a mate in a greenland style hardshell having fun in force 6 winds in the bay of Pozzuoli in Naples, with a 1.5 / 2m swell running diagonal to the wind direction and a short chop whipped up the wind with a fair bit of spray. I was really impressed by how well the Narak handled these conditions, though I'm a bit light for it at 67 kg so it's a bit high in the water and it was harder work for me than for the more experienced paddler I was with in hislower profile hardshell. Having said that there was a moment when neither of us could make any progress into a particularly strong gust :-). I'd set up the seat position in Narak so that it was pretty much neutral in lighter winds with neither weathercocking nor leecocking, but noticed that in today's conditions I had to lean a long way forward to stop it from leecocking, and the bow still got away from me once. I can easily move the seat forward by about 10 cm next time I'm out in high winds, which should make it weathercock in these conditions, but was wondering if anyone can tell me whether it's normal to have to adjust ballast or seating position forward to provide adequate weathercocking in higher winds.
Simon
PS had a think about it and perhaps it's just that when heading into a higher wind the vector of the wind speed and the kayak speed results in the centre of pressure moving further forward....

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:44 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Good question... Tsunami Chuck seems to have a pretty good understanding of ballast and tracking... I'd like to hear his insights on this topic.

My kayaking knowledge is not so vast but I've considerable time on the water in other boats. My thoughts are that above water surface area is the greatest factor in weather - but the way the hull is riding in the water also has great affect on the helm. Seems that it would be kind of nice to be able to move the kayak seat forward and back with a lever while underway like we do car seats. Since we can't, I wonder if it's worth considering a moveable ballast forward of the cockpit and a seating position more to the rear?

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:09 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Simon, I found this article not too long ago, I think it might answer your question:

http://superiorpaddling.com/kayak-weathercocking/

As I understand this increased speed should have increased your weathercocking... not lee cocking. Perhaps when you guys lost momentum you were falling under the effect of wind on the beam, which would push you parallel to the wind, not necessarily lee cocking though.

Check it out.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:32 am 
forum fanatic

Hello Simon,
I adjusted my seat position too in my Narak 550 depending on wind but at 80 kg, I never had leecocking with it. I think that hard shell kayaks are also subject to this balance settings but
- they can't move their seats significantly
- now they all have skegs which eliminate the problems (and turn donkeys into acceptable horses !)
To my opinion, the less skeg or rudder you have, the more skilled you get with your paddle. Doesn't exist back in the inuit days !