Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nautiraid Miniraid kayak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:38 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hello everyone,
I am a fairly new member here. Since I seem to have a somewhat unusual small Nautiraid, it was suggested that I post a photo.
This little number is my go to kayak for quick local paddles. Which means local lakes, the Oakland estuary and sloughs around San Francisco Bay. It is really perfect for that: An all PVC skin permits quick clean-up after outings with out the fussiness of having to thoroughly dry a fabric deck. Assembly is surprisingly fast, considering that the skin fits tight over the wood frame. In typical Nautiraid fashion, the sponsons are on the outside of the hull. Stability is superb, so is responsiveness. It accelerates quickly, has a good turn of speed and turns on a dime. No doubt, the tight fit of the skin on the frame helps. The flip side to the responsiveness is that it is a kayak for the active paddler, no relaxed gliding here. You have to keep paddling, otherwise it will just make a hook turn. On the maintenance side I have had to re-glue the two longitudinal seams in the hull, varnish the frame members, and expect to occasionally have to do minor frame repairs ( the skin under tension puts quite a bit of strain on the frame during assembly).
Lastly, it carries my, um..., middle age frame without complaint, even though I might exceed the weight rating by a few pounds... Waves and ship wakes are not a problem.

The Miniraid vitals:
length 12'-6"
width with inflated sponsons 30"
weight 37 lb
frame: ash and birch plywood
age? Not sure, but think it is from the early to mid 1990's
portability: the single bag fits into the trunk of my VW GTI

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

Last edited by ChrisO on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Chris,

Thanks for sharing that. Don't believe I have ever seen one before and I assume they are now extinct? Looks a little like the Folbot Gremlin, albeit with the frame design and quality of Nauteraid. Enjoy.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 am 
forum fanatic

Chris,

Thanks for sharing details about your Nautiraid. It certainly has nice lines and it is a model I have not heard of before. Very nice.

Bill