Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nautiraid on a plane.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:44 am 
paddler

Hi guys.

I have a wooden frame Nautiraid Greenlander in Portugal and would like to bring it to Great Britain. So far I've been to afraid to trust it to an airline and I actually went by train from London to my home town of Coimbra with it!

This time that won't be possible, so I would like to know what precautions other wooden Nautiraid owners take while packing the bags (cardboard, bubble wrap, strips of wood?) and what is the worst damage anyone's boat has suffered on a plane trip.

Another quick question, is there a facebook, youtube or instagram group attached to this website and forum?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

We're not mirroring on any other social media, although perhaps we should consider a Flickr page and a youtube channel to address our absence of a gallery.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:19 am 
paddler

That's a good idea. Thanks Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Wood frame definitely needs some protection. I use an old sheet and roll the long pieces, one at a time, so that I end up with a giant roll with none of the pieces in contact with the others. Then I put a towel on the top and bottom of the roll and duct tape it tight. After inserting the long pieces in the long bag I cinch it as tight as I can to prevent movement. I don't do anything special for the hull and I carry the bag with ribs on board. BTW, one can not carry a paddle, even a 4-piece, on board in the U.S. That needs to go in the long bag.

Good luck!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:27 am 
paddler

I didn't even think of abrasion betweed the wood bits. I am more concerned about some heavy suitcase being dropped on the bag with the frame and cracking some parts. I think I'll wrap the parts individually and then look for some corrugated cardboard or hardboard strips.
In Europe one would definitely not be allowed to carry much in the cabin neither.
Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 am 
Site Admin

About the absence of a gallery: I've been promising for a long time to restore out serious,y hacked gallery, and never put aside the many hours it would take me. Any suggestions for a new hack proof gallery are appreciated. Post them in the "suggestions" forum. We'll discuss and I'll implement whatever solution(s) the group decides on.