Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:36 am 
recent arrival

Bonjour

My name is Beni and I am planning to paddle 140 kilometres through St. Vincent and the Grenadines this summer. For those who don't know, St. Vincent and the Grenadines are part of the Caribbean - quite close to the coast of Venezuela.

I am planning to paddle this trip with my new - used - Nautiraid RAID 1 460 aluminium frame built in june 2009. I really enjoy this kayak, however, the first few days have been a bit tumultuous. The frame has been used which means that it is not exactly symmetrical. Whilst this isn't a major problem, it means that I must shove and push to fit the frame into the back of the boat. In addition, or as a result, the boat pulls slightly to the left. In order to paddle more comfortably I want to buy a Nautiraid Rudder.

Are there any tips or problems you can tell me about concerning my Nautiraid's asymmetry and the Nautiraid Rudder? What else can you tell me about my boat that might be helpful?

I am looking forward to your replies.

Thank you

Beni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:36 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

If there are some visible bends or curves in the frame parts you may be able to straighten them a bit. I just had that problem with my Feathercraft Wisper (also an aluminum frame) that was badly bent from being hauled in high winds on a roof rack that was too closely spaced. If the frame diameter is 5/8" you can slip it in something to hold it firm, like a bench vise or a deep slot or hole in concrete or metal and apply strong constant manual pressure on it to gradually remove some of the curve. If it is 3/4" or thicker (as one part of my frame is) that may not work. Just watch that you don't place too much pressure on the ends that slide together as if you crush them out of round they will not fit anymore. Keep the vise or pressure several inches from connection points.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15