Recommended Paddle size for Grand Narak 550

Moderators: mje, krudave

Brett

Recommended Paddle size for Grand Narak 550

Post by Brett »

I recently purchased a Grand Narak and am looking to get a couple of paddles. I like the looks of the greenland style paddles, but I wonder if the loom needs to be longer than the beam of the boat, which is 29.5". Any recommendations on dimensions or brands?

Brett

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Recommended Paddle size for Grand Narak 550

Post by tsunamichuck »

Greenland paddles may not work so well with this kayak. Try a few out first.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

This depends on your height and paddling style, and the style of paddles. Your style will change with experience, too. Go paddling with cheap paddles and you'll get an idea as to the length you need. Even sitting in the assembled boat in your back yard will give you some idea.

You could use a Greenland paddle, but it would have to be uncommonly long.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

siravingmon
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by siravingmon »

I've used GPs as long as 260 cm witout difficulty, if that helps...
Simon

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416 & Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI

Brett

Post by Brett »

siravingmon wrote:I've used GPs as long as 260 cm witout difficulty, if that helps...

I was thinking about getting one 240cm or longer, with a 75cm loom. This is what Alpine paddles uses for their "Narak" version of a 2-piece greenland paddle that is sold through Nautiraid.
There are a few folks in the US who will make a two-piece GP for you. I'm getting pricing now. I have no idea who makes a quality product; they all look great in the photo's.
I would like to try one, but I don't know anyone in my area who paddles. No response from the local club.

HoosierPaddler
forum fanatic

Post by HoosierPaddler »

I will use as short as as 230 in a Folbot Greenland II but it isn't preferred (hit knuckes on star nuts) depending on how high I have setup my seating position. Sometimes I need a shorter paddle for maneuverability in flooded . I'm not sure how high the coaming is on a Grand Narak. I would think a GP won't provide they same level of control for a longer, wider double as a typical paddle would.

Just some thoughts.

HoosierPaddler

Brett

Post by Brett »

Thanks for the info everyone!

Christov10
forum fanatic

Post by Christov10 »

For what it's worth, back when I was paddling it a lot, I used a 225 cm or so greenland style paddle in my RZ96 - a behemoth of a folding kayak 96cm wide. Worked fine, but was more satisfactory from the forward position.

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

http://tremolopaddles.wcha.org/tremelop ... lcome.html

Check out this website. I listened to this fellow for half an hour then borrowed a Greenland paddle to try out.
I was amazed. It worked great. Caleb insists only a whitewater kayaker needs a wide paddle.
Narrow paddles don't fatigue you as much and he correctly points to the Canadian Voyageurs who all used narrow paddles.

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by tsunamichuck »

treewater wrote:http://tremolopaddles.wcha.org/tremelopaddles/Welcome.html

Check out this website. I listened to this fellow for half an hour then borrowed a Greenland paddle to try out.
I was amazed. It worked great. Caleb insists only a whitewater kayaker needs a wide paddle.
Narrow paddles don't fatigue you as much and he correctly points to the Canadian Voyageurs who all used narrow paddles.

My favorite paddle is a 210 cm small bladed Eddyline Windswift. Used it in an Aerius 2. Also use a Greenland paddle. Prefer the narrower paddles.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

My favorite paddle is a 210 cm small bladed Eddyline Windswift. Used it in an Aerius 2. Also use a Greenland paddle. Prefer the narrower paddles.

Looks good. $250?

Return to “Nautiraid”