Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:29 pm 
I have seen the ad and I have placed a order for a new gps messaging system by findmespot.com. It's not expensive and if you look at the specs it does not only provide a 911 function with excact location but and provide tracking on Google earth with a update every ten minutes. They do charge a annual subscribtion for it of at least $99, but it looks like it's worth every penny. Mine is on it's way and I will report on it's function once I have had time to test it.

Bazzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:52 pm 
Bazzer

what's up?
Did you get the Spot?
It does look interesting but I know from other forums that there are still lots of questions about it's function.

Let us know.
Hugh

Post subject: Have one...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

... and am pleased with it. It works pretty much as advertised with the only negative being no assurance that a message was sent or received.

My only suggestion is not to wait untl the last minute to purchase one. It took a little bit of effort to get the emails through various spam filters at home and work but that was easily solved.

The biggest stress point for me when traveling is trying to find a phone to call home and give the wife an 'all safe' message. This will take care of that worry.

I also like that their call center will handle the 911 response. Your designee gets the "I'm OK" and "send help" messages. I didn't spring for the automatic tracking function. That funcitonality sends a message every 10-minutes. I didn't feel like that it was worth it for $50 a year extra.

The send help and 911 buttons are just about impossible to push accidently. You need a key, a stick - something with a small diameter but stout. If you're injured, this might make it difficult to activate.

Here's the tracking points from a recent trip -

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:15 pm 
I've also purchased the SPOT.
I used it on a recent trip down the Yukon River in the Yukon Territory. Worked everytime.

We stayed up in Dawson city and helped with the Yukon River Quest. A lot of the racers had a Spot and it wasn't a prerequisite for the race but racers were asked to register their SPOTs with the race. I know some racers used the tracking option and you could actually follow a boat's progress on the river via the 'net.

Some may see this device as an intrusion into their lives and trips but it certainly is a cheap and easy way to keep family happy.

Hugh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:06 am 
Hugh B wrote:
Some may see this device [Spot] as an intrusion into their lives and trips but it certainly is a cheap and easy way to keep family happy.

Family already IS an intrusion, and there is little you can do about it. Either you have to look for a phone/internet booth, or carry a satellite phone (in areas without cell phone coverage), or use something like "Spot". I would've probably chose the first option, - at the put in and finish points (or respective airports), explaining that the rest of the route is "incommunicado", wilderness, and emergnecies, if any, would be handled via PLB and VHF. Sending messages every few days - via Spot or whatever - takes a lot of fun out of it. I remember some Mastercard commercial, some travel:"air tickets $..., local map $..., renting a bicycle $..., 2 weeks without email - priceless ".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Philosophically, I'm in Alex's camp on this one. But, I recognize that some paddlers have "pressures" from family and other loved ones (the dog, the cat, etc.) about tracking their whereabouts. They want reassurance. They want us to have a quick way of alerting the authorities if we are in trouble.

I really do not want any of those when my son is off climbing El Cap or hanging on ice tools in a gully or smear somewhere in Utah. I know he is taking risks; I know he is very competent; I know he takes all the precautions I would if I had his climbing skills and fitness level; I'm jealous as hell, at some visceral level, that he can do that stuff and I can't (never could). So I do not need SPOT messages from him when he is out adventuring, for my own peace of mind. I understand his need to to climb, and I accept a degree of risk in his life, as I accept it in mine.

But, there is a more practical reason I don't need SPOT to track him: in the event of a fall or avalanche, it is about 95% likely SPOT won't help to save his little pumpkin. If he is gravely injured, likely one of his buds will hoof it out to help, and help will get there about as fast as if he SPOTS. He does not solo climb.

OTOH, SPOT could be useful for someone on an adventure in which they might get pinned down, uninjured (or, injured), and they are so remote they can not move to a safer location. The guy who got pinned by the boulder is a good example: solo; catastrophic accident makes it impossible for him to move (until he cut the arm off).

Where I go, the VHF is plenty good for bringing help if I am pinned down; and, Becky does not demand reassurance about my daily whereabouts. Our rule is that I call home when I get off the water; if she does not get that call within a day of the time expected, she sends a request for authorities to go look for me. That's all I need; it s all she needs. Oh, and we do not have a dog or a cat.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:47 pm 
krudave wrote:
in the event of a fall or avalanche, it is about 95% likely SPOT won't help to save his little pumpkin. If he is gravely injured, likely one of his buds will hoof it out to help, and help will get there about as fast as if he SPOTS. He does not solo climb.

OTOH, SPOT could be useful for someone on an adventure in which they might get pinned down, uninjured (or, injured), and they are so remote they can not move to a safer location. The guy who got pinned by the boulder is a good example: solo; catastrophic accident makes it impossible for him to move (until he cut the arm off).

I was almost about to argue, but then recalled that the guy pinned down in cave had some view of the sky above (with raven passing every day at the same time), so he wouldve been able to use a Spot. But then, he would've been able to use a PLB as well, and had every reason to do so. Otherwise, without a vew of sky, he would've been out of lack.