The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:54 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alm wrote:
Quote:
I think much more could be done with possibilities our boats offer as part of our sleeping arrangements, either as bedding or as lean-tos. A Puffin 2, for instance, has great potential as a lean-to.

Even though I'm becoming obsessed with compact and double-use items, I doubt that folders can be used for anything else but paddling. To use it as a lean-to, or rain-cover or bedding or anything else, you need to
1) Unload all the gear so it won't add the weight and shift around, and
2) Bring and position the boat to where it can and has to be used as a lean-to or whatever you want it to be.

May be this works with Puffins, but LH MK1 isn't something that you want to move around more than you absolutely have to - it's incredibly heavy. Even with Kahuna I only bring it above the high tide line using the cart 90% of time, and leave it there, as it still weighs 60 lbs with rudder, FC backpack, another luggage bag (2 checked-in pieces in total), spare paddle, small foatation bag, repair kit and other permanent items that are difficult or unnecessary to unload every time.

Back to bugs - there is no shelter with perfect protection from them. They can't enter my tent when zippers are closed. But they can and do enter together with me, or when I open zippers for a second to put in or retrieve something.

Yeah, and then the little boogers fly around my ear all night :x .

I usually leave my boat at the waterline and tote the camping gear and other stuff to a suitable spot for camping. The kahuna rests for the night close to where I climb out of it. I have, at times been able to'slide' down into my empty kahuna while underway just to see what it is like. I suppose I could sleep in it in an emergency, say if I am stuck on a sand bar in a low tide or just lost in calm water. I pitty the poor guy who would have to do that :cry:

C.

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:32 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
Yeah, and then the little boogers fly around my ear all night :x .
C.

I wish they just flew around... With nights as warm and stuffy as they were in Exumas in April, most of the body is exposed in the tent during night time. And then it's itching for days. So taking care of them (i.e. eliminating) before going to sleep is very important.

Quote:
I usually leave my boat at the waterline and tote the camping gear and other stuff to a suitable spot for camping.

More than one kayak was lost to high tide this way. I've caught mine quietly floating in the night 20 yards away, 10 minutes after landing, while I went to look for a suitable tent site (kayak was not completely pulled out of water at landing - the gear was still in - but about half-way it was). Sometimes it is hard to determine where the high tide line is, and there is nothing to tie it to. Plus, remote possibility of theft from water. This is why I'm always trying to bring it close to the tent for a night. In this relation - when there is nothing to tie it to, and difficult to bring it far enough from the hide tide line (which becomes higher yet when wind kicks in) - I've been thinking of motion-sensor bike alarm. It will wake me up if it starts moving. What you guys think? I don't know which one - it shouldn't have a remote, or any key, and should be weather-proof. This one seems like OK, but it appears to be promoted solely by the owner/inventor Mr. Ducharme: http://www.ducharmealarmsystems.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Alex, how about tying the boat to a tent pole? If it starts to wander in the night, you should know pretty soon.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:37 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Alm wrote:
May be this works with Puffins, but LH MK1 isn't something that you want to move around more than you absolutely have to - it's incredibly heavy. Even with Kahuna I only bring it above the high tide line using the cart 90% of time, and leave it there, as it still weighs 60 lbs with... items that are difficult or unnecessary to unload every time.

Well, Alex, I have to respect that you have a lot more experience with kayak-camping than I do. I am theorizing, and haven't actually tried what I am suggesting.

I think you are right about the Puffin being more suited than other boats. Particularly the P2, but the fact that all of the Puffins are easily de-decked, in addition to their light weight, makes this so. With an open-top boat (my Puffin 2, which was the only boat I have used for camping), one tends to throw one big dry bag in front and the trailer and a couple of other items in back, tie them very loosely, and go. Thus, unloading is not something one even pauses to think about. A closed-deck boat, as most folders are, is usually a different thing. Of course, this supports the liking I developed for open-top boats.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 am 
krudave wrote:
Alex, how about tying the boat to a tent pole? If it starts to wander in the night, you should know pretty soon.

Interesting idea. May need a long rope sometimes (which I will bump into, sooner or later, for sure), and won't help against theft - but I like the simplicity, really.

Sorry for "stealing the thread" with these tying/unloading issues - Chris, I don't know what Puffins are better suitable for, than "decked" boats. May be - for short trips or day paddling in certain range of conditions. Unloading certainly is easier when there is no deck - and Puffins are also lighter, so may be one can move it around the camp, use as a camp-chair or bed, or whatever. From my experience (not with Puffins), even when you can bring inflatable or some other light boat right to the tent, it is usually better to use a designated sleeping pad for sleeping and chair for sitting, than a kayak (in the "designated" class I would include converted kayak seats too - I tried this not only with LH).

Post subject: test "sleep"
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:46 pm 
We've had unusually cool weather here in PHX so I rigged up the hammock in the backyard for an overnight test-sleep. My night's sleep was better than being on a pad on the ground and it cut my tossing and turning quite a bit.

The more I moved to where I was sleeping diagonally across the centerline, the "flatter" I was able to sleep. Setting up the pullouts is essential to keep the sides off of my face - found that out the hard way - at 2 AM.

Other than that, the set-up was under 5 minutes and take-down was even quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:21 am 

Yup :D .
The key, I found, was to use trees of at least 4 inches diameter. Any less than that and my butt ended up on the ground by morning (not painfully, just annoyingly).

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject: Re: Hammocks and kayaks
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:48 am 
All this talk of dual purpose gear makes me wonder, has anyone ever slept in their kayak? It seems with a Thermarest, a bit a bug netting and a suspended tarp over the cockpit it might be possible. I thought I'd seen it mentioned elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 am 
Site Admin

kabrunette wrote:
All this talk of dual purpose gear makes me wonder, has anyone ever slept in their kayak? ...

Dr. Hannes Lindemann, among others ;-)

mike

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:18 pm 

I've taken naps in my P2 and an old royalux canoe I had. The Klepper has those ribs that would get in the way, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:24 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

kabrunette wrote:
All this talk of dual purpose gear makes me wonder, has anyone ever slept in their kayak?

Check out this thread on the Folbot Forum. AnnD has it down to a fine art.
http://www.folbotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1289

To be fair, she's travelling solo in a Greenland II double, which helps with space and stability.

Mary

Post subject: snakeskins.....
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:22 pm 
I added another piece of kit to my setup - snakeskins. These are installed over each end of the hammock prior to hanging, the hammock is rolled up more or less and then slide the snakeskins down each end to contain the hammock.

To hang the hammock, simply tie off each end of the hammock and then slide the snakeskins back to release the hammock. The snakeskins remain bunched up at each line. Keeps everythign off the ground and makes setup/takedown a snap.

These were homemade - ripstop cut to 18" by 72". From there, this large piece is lengthwise cut into two pieces 5" on one end and 13" on the other and then lapped over to form a long snakeskin-like tube. A little sewing - 15 minutes to make.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:48 pm 
maryinoxford wrote:
kabrunette wrote:
All this talk of dual purpose gear makes me wonder, has anyone ever slept in their kayak?

Check out this thread on the Folbot Forum. AnnD has it down to a fine art.
http://www.folbotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1289

To be fair, she's travelling solo in a Greenland II double, which helps with space and stability.

Not only she is traveling solo in a GII, but it is also equipped with Balogh sail outrigggers (most of the time, as I understand). But I think she is sleeping in a kayak only when she has to. Everglades park, where you have relative freedom from bugs only at some distance from shore, presents a perfect opporutinty ;-)...

Otherwise, - sorry, but these boats have only one use - paddling (or sailing). Not much else you can do with them.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Alm wrote:
Not only she is traveling solo in a GII, but it is also equipped with Balogh sail outrigggers (most of the time, as I understand). But I think she is sleeping in a kayak only when she has to. Everglades park, where you have relative freedom from bugs only at some distance from shore, presents a perfect opporutinty ;-)...
That's accurate. I have gotten Ann's sagas from the horse's mouth, and sleeping aboard is tricky, demanding care in selection of gear and anchorage. And yuppers, she does not try to intermix paddling and sailing.

Plus, the cockpit area of a G II is enormous, and Ann is skinny as a rail (though tall). The feeling of confinement would drive me nuts, but she is very sanguine about it. She has done this enough in a G II that she wore one out, some of that due to abuse of the boat (she readily admits to the abuse).

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:32 am 
She says in that link that she spent 4 nights aboard - so I guess she did. GII, anchored in a shallow protected bayou - why not... "Careful selection of gear" - who, Ann? :-) She carries everything in this boat that she carries in her minivan, seems to me... Well, if GII leaves her enough room, and she doesn't really have to paddle it often, this may work. I carry 3-4 times less volume of cargo in Kahuna, even on long trips - but I would've carried more if I had more room. Not as much as she, - but more than now. When you have to fly with your boat, you can't carry coolers (or whatever is this chest on the photo), PVC pipes, hangers etc. Don't understand her excitement about Trangia alcohol stove, btw. High, hot, non-adjustable flame. (There is a "damper" lid, but it's tricky). May be for on-board cooking this is better than a white gas stove, but why not using small adjustable LPG, same silent and non-smelly as alcohol stove...