Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

To a meeting like this, I would ...
... like very much to come if travel plans and budget will allow. 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
... come spontaneously, perhaps. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
... never come. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 am 
After some ideas of some people in the thread "Klepper clubs or owners assoiations" I open up this one here
as I thinks it's the better place.

This is the idea:

- Location: Stockholm for the first meeting, later at other places around the Baltic Sea
- duration and time: ca. 1 week in early summer, first 2009
- program: several tours, courses, workshops, lectures. Of course there will be camp life and atmosphere and international exchange of ideas, opinions and friendship
- intervall: every 2 years

Does anyone have an idea for a good "speaking" shortcut for that meeting?

Please, answer the poll. Same poll is running at faltboot.de: http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?1,132573

Additional to your answer your opinions and comments are welcome. Later I will pass them over to faltboot.de as a summary as well as I will report the results in faltboot.de to you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 pm 
I would obviously be interested.

If we do it in the southern Stockholm archipelago, I was thinking that Avanza Kajak in Stockholm might be interested in participating -- they are Sweden's largest folding kayak dealer (Klepper, Feathercraft, Nautiraid, Pakboat). They also rent boats.

Obviously, we would have some great day trips. In the evenings, slide shows and presentations of other expeditions and trips would be fun. It would be fun to have 1-man and 2-man assembly speed contests, too. And the Swedish "kustjägarna" (coastal rangers) have their base very close by in Berga. Perhaps we can convince them to teach a course in night-time navigation or something like that. But we should probably let them win in the assembly speed contest, then.

I would be interested in learning to sail a kayak as well. I've kayaked and sailed, but never the two together.

- Christian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 pm 
That sounds nice, Christian!

We need a kind of brainstorming with as many ideas as possible.

Don't forget to vote :wink:

Post subject: Don't hesitate to vote!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 am 
The poll result from faltboot.de so far:
Total votes: 23
Yes: 12 = 52%
Perhaps: 6 = 26%
No: 5 = 23%

This result made me mail to Stockholm's official convention bureau. So the stone is already rolling...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:17 pm 
It'd take a windfall, but I'd love to be there...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:21 am 
I have voted, number 1, very keen.
Thank you
Elliot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 am 
Not many have voted yet... but the result, also at faltboot.de makes me optimistic.
Therefore I have contacted (besides Stockholm's official convention bureau http://www.stockholmtown.com/default____2025.aspx?epslanguage=EN) Stockholms Kajakklubb http://www.kajak.org/default.asp?DocID=262&Tpl=start.asp&stat=true. The club is placed directly in town and runs a cafe with rooms for lectures and offers catering: http://www.kafekajak.se/

That place looks perfect for a meeting, so keep your fingers crossed!

Time-frame: midsummer 09, because the Swedish midsummer (http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/CommonPage____11366.aspx) party shall be part of the meeting. So the 10 days of the meeting will be somehow between 19th of June and 5th of July. Those who do not want to pinch off that much of their holiday are of course welcome to visit the meeting just for a flying visit. The programm will be announced in time.

Last edited by Der olle Hansen on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:58 pm 
First answer from Stockholm from Tine Ekelund, President of SKK:

Quote:
... Det låter både spännande och intressant och det vore självklart kul om vi kunde hjälpa till att förverkliga er önskan. Jag ska undersöka saken de närmaste veckorna och lovar att återkomma till dig senast i slutet av augusti....

vänliga hälsningar
Tina Ekelund
Stockholms kajakklubb

"... That sounds both exciting and interesting and naturally it would be great if we could help you to fulfill your wish. I will check your concern in the next weeks and promise to come back latest until the end of August...

kind regards
Tine Ekelund
Stockholms kajakklubb"

So there is hope... :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:34 pm 
The meeting has got it's own website:

http://baltic-meeting.de.tl/International-Baltic-FK-Meeting.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 pm 
Stockholm has answered , many tips and hints for our planning. More will follow.

Midsummer is early next year: June, 19th, so the meeting wil be earlier, too.

More news not here any longer, but on the meeting's website.
But here is a lot of room for comments, proposals and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:20 am 
Hi Ralf,

Just noticed your program for the entire week, sounds very good!

will try to be there!

Bye

Jan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:36 am 
Fine! You just have to beat down the price of the house a bit so you can afford the trip! :lol:

Will you arrange something like "Non-stop from Bollentocht*) to baltic tocht?" in your club? :wink:

*) "Bollentocht" is Dutch and means "tulip-bulb-tour" and that's what is is: http://picasaweb.google.de/Blauwal4/Bollentocht

As a native Dutchman, could you please make some publicity in the Netherlands, perhaps in:
- Nederlandse Kanobond: http://www.nkb.nl/
- Toeristische Kano Bond Nederland: http://www.tkbn.nl/news.php

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:11 am 
Hi Ralf,

good idea, will see what I can do for you, also at "peddelpraat" in the NLs.
I have to add that FK are very uncommon/unknown there but one never knows ;)

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:42 am 
forum fanatic

Hi!

It really sounds cool with a folding kayak meeting in Sweden!
Immediatly I started to think about how I would like plan it and where to be... when I was about to write down my ideas I realized you guys really had moved forward and open up a specific web page for it, but I still don't see how much that is already fixed and how much that is just ideas....?

So I can at least write my ideas:

I live in a old Mission house in Mellösa outside Flen (111km south Stockholm). Here we have:

1) Wonderful nature with many small lakes for example 5km to Harpsunds lake (where the Swedish prime ministers summer place is). This lake could be a nice evening paddling watching beavers and of course the residence.
2) 25km to Båven (a rather big lake) -- one of Swedens best lakes for paddling. Great for a multi day trip. Osprays, eagles... great nature... some cool castles and mansions. This lake is much "better" than Mälaren...
3) 60km to Baltic sea outside Nyköping (Stendörren) a really amazing archepelago for a multi day trip -- can't say enough of the beuty of it!
4) 1 hour train ride to the centre of Stockholm. Could be a super cool event to pack ourselfs on the train with 20 folding kayaks and then paddle around in the core of Sthlm! Then go to a nice restaurant or so!
5) A Wonderful gathering hall from the late 50-ties super cheap to rent... and not used much. (when my house is not big enough)
6) I think it should be easy to make good and cheap living for many people in a "health centre" that is not used much. But it should also exist a lot of alternatives I belive.

Well.... When I wrote this I imagined about 20 persons... but this location and setup should work for more people also.

btw: I am interested in more discussions of a meeting even if NOTHING of my ideas seems intersting for the rest of you.

/Erik S

Klepper Aerius II (early 70-ties) with Sail rig
Klepper Aerius II (late 80-ties)
Klepper Aerius I (early 80-ties)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 am 
forum fanatic

Perhaps my idea of having the base 60km away from the baltic sea is a bit off... but I must again recommend the "Stendörren".

It the area between Nyköping and Stendörren it exists three differnt vacaton places (owned by different organisations) Romholmen, Lappetorp and Svärdsklova. They should each accomodate us all... it is so very close to the water. And I think it is much cheaper than closer to Stockholm -- and more real nature too!

In Nyköping we could have a fun event! It exist a real outdoor Kayak Arena there.... how about som silly fast paddling tournament! Just for fun of course.... with assembling and then later paddling! Wow! I am really in to this! This event could be much fun!

And the Nyköping-area is also very close to Båven.

/Erik

Klepper Aerius II (early 70-ties) with Sail rig
Klepper Aerius II (late 80-ties)
Klepper Aerius I (early 80-ties)