Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charts online resource ?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:22 am 
Please post links here for your favorite online resources for purchasing charts.

Many thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:04 pm 
I don't use marine charts (except for those in GPS). For kayaking maps in my particular areas of interest (Pacific NW and Baja) I simply go to a nearest camping store and buy one of these http://www.coastalwatersrec.com/ if I decide it's worth buying after looking at it. Then, if upon further looking at home I do decide that it's good for frequent use on board, I make copies about 6"x8"of some sections, laminate and sew them together as a notebook.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 am 
For US waters, NOAA Booklet Charts are nice. They come as PDF files with a standard issue paper chart divided up into handy-to-print, 8.5 x 11" pages. Print just the pages (areas) you need - on waterproof paper or regular paper for use inside a decent chart case. Best of all the charts are free.

Here's the link: http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletChart/

HF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:08 pm 
Alm wrote:

Unfortunately there seems to be nothing for sale covering the East coast, only the West.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:08 am 
No, Coastalwatersrec don't cover East. For West Coast they are more than kayaker may need, though. Places marked as "suitable campsites" are so plentiful that it makes me wonder - seems they marked so every undeveloped beach. Works in calm weather, but in windy conditions I wouldn't want to get stuck on windward side - difficult to launch the boat. Still, such boaters-oriented maps I find more useful than marine charts. If NOOA charts aren't to your liking, you may check topo maps of respective coastal regions. The only time when I needed some boating map of the East (Caribbean) I made laminated copies of selected pages from yachting guide book for that area, worked well too. Then sold the book ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:17 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Here is a link to waterproof charts covering the Maine to Boston area.

http://www.waterproofcharts.com/shop/ca ... x?catid=22

Most marine and kayaking shops carry these as well as non-water proof charts manufactured by another company. I have both but use the waterproof ones for kayaking.