Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 pm 
I've been back and forth for almost a year on buying a Inflatable, and have been trying to decide between Innova Sunny, Innova Safari, and Aire Sawtooth.

I tried to buy pre-owned Innovas using craigslist but never connected with the boat/seller. I corresponded with some Safai sellers who couldn't tell me if they had the early narrower beam stern and bow (tippier), or the newer (about from 5-6 years ago) current less 'tippy' design. They may have been scammers as they quit writing back when I asked questions or wanted to arrange a meet (once with myself, once with bro-in-law who lived in the area). A Sunny seller never answered back at all.

I had arrangements to meet one Safari seller ($500 cash) in person in TX, but he backed out at the last minute due to a supposed business trip.

So, I now have a Aire Sawtooth I with one seat in the UPS delivery system for delivery to me in the military campground I am in near Panama City FL (panhandle).

I have ordered a 12 volt pump, a K-100 hand k-pump, and a kwik-gauge from another source.

Last edited by AC7880 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm 
Part 2:

I currently have 2 RTM Disco hardshell SOTs, and have been using Aquabound Stingray carbon shaft/plastic blade 210 cm paddles with them. I found a deal on a local 230 cm Werner Camano carbon shaft/fiberglass blade paddle to use with the Sawtooth.

The Disco(s) are a 26" beam, and the 210 cm paddles are ok, but a 220 might work better. With the 32" beam on the Sawtooth I didn't think the 210s would do the job.

Sawtooth and pumps should be here late next week, and we should be able to paddle 1 - 2 times here locally before heading to Tampa area for 1 week, then onward towards the FL Keys (full time RV travelers).

I have no idea if we will find the Sawtooth acceptable in comparison to the Discos, but if so we will sell the Discos and buy one more Sawtooth. A shop south of Tampa has a Sawtooth I in stock and is interested in trading for the 2 RTM Discos.

If wife and I like the Sawtooth well enough, we will trade while we are southbound. Other wise we will keep at least 1 and maybe both Discos, with the Sawtooth for a surf boat and visitor boat, hauling it in the basement of the motorhome the rest of the time. Or if we really don't like the comparison, we may sell the the Sawtooth at a loss and just keep the Discos. We know no inflatable will be as quick as the RTM Discos, but if it is a decent boat we'd like to get the SOTs off the top of the tow car 24/7, 365 a year.

The Sawtooth I is reported to be one of the quickest inflatables with a good glide, but heavier than Innova at 42.5 lbs with one seat, and the drawback of being harder to dry out with the bladder system/zippers. The weight won't be a big issue as they are lighter than the Discos, and I have room/weight capacity in the motorhome. The drying issue is a concern though.

Our travel blog is here: http://2toomanycats.blogspot.com/

Dan

Last edited by AC7880 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 am 
faltbootemeister

Dan, congrats on the new boat! I'm really keen to hear your impressions and maybe see some photos. Not a lot of information out there on the Sawtooth. I was almost planning on getting one myself, but then the Seaker came along!

One plus on the drying out side for the Sawtooth is that it's self bailing, so a bit less likely that water will pool and stay in the boat. You might consider scotchgarding the boat fabric or something similar as well. I've also heard that the 42 lbs weight is a bit overstated.

Hope that you find that it measures up against your Discos. Happy paddling!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:46 pm 
Be aware that this and other AIRE boats have an outer hull with air bladders inside. This is a very secure and rugged system, but water between the layers will take some time to dry. If you don't wait for the bulk of the water to work it's way out, you will end up with a puddle in your vehicle, whether the boat in inflated or deflated.

Also, if the boat is not taken apart and cleaned, any organic residue (found in all water, to a greater or lesser degree) between the layers will stink.

These boats are great if you leave them inflated, but for a boat for occasional use, you might prefer a single layer like the (excellent) Innovas.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:41 pm 
Saleroso and Paddlesheep,

I am indeed a bit worried about the bladdered system on the Sawtooth and drying. My plan is to take a tarp to the recovery point, and put the Sawtooth on it to drain, then I can dry it again when we return to the motorhome if need be. I'll also need to rinse off the zipper sections with fresh water after salt water use. I may end up car topping to launch and back if a short drive and sub freeway speeds, then dry and pack it later.

I've spent a bunch of time researching Sunny, Safari, and Sawtooth, but was unable to test paddle any of them. I tried to find a safe (no scam) Sunny/Safari used boat with little success. Dollars were a bit limited for this test of IKs to see if we will replace our hardshell sit on tops (or not). I had a solid offer in on a pre-owned Safari, and a time and place to meet when he backed out the day prior.

Very little info on the Sawtooth on line, so I'll post as I test the Sawtooth. I have no where near the experience level of many others on this site. Wife and I are recreational novice paddlers who only do 1/2 day max paddles (usually a hour to 3 hours per paddle). We have only paddled Feathercraft Kahunas and RTM Disco hardshell sit on tops (fast design on the Disco). We never over-night paddle, so cargo is of minimal concern (just lunch and additional clothing, water, etc, and we do have drybags).

So even though little qualification for a decent field test report, I'll post what I can on the Sawtooth with photo links. If the test goes well, we'll sell both Disco SOTs for a 2nd inflatable. If test goes not so well, we'll be 2 people with 3 boats (not so good for full time RV travelers).

EDIT: I am creating a blog for the Aire Sawtooth I that I have ordered. I will post my impressions and pics, and other data on the Sawtooth. http://sawtoothkayak.blogspot.com/ I'll also report back here on what I find with the new IK. Thanks again for all the info and help.

Last edited by AC7880 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:44 am 
I have 2 Safaris and love them, but at about 190 lbs I am at the limit, and they are better for people who weigh less. I have had 2 Helios, and they are also excellent boats. I tried a Sunny, liked it, and would consider buying one if I were in the market for that type of boat. You could buy these with confidence, but get the fully coated models. Their nitrylon fabric needs to have the salt washed off after every outing, but otherwise they are eminently practical.

I recently bought a Pakboats XT-15 and love it, but this is a price notch up from the inflatables.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 pm 
My wife and I paddled the Sawtooth for the first time today. I did a review with lots of pics, but it's too large to post here. My impressions are mixed, as I am comparing a RTM Disco to the Sawtooth, which is an unfair comparison to begin with.

For now we plan to continue car-topping the 2 Discos, but might keep the Sawtooth for a visitor boat and to try in surf, rivers, creeks, and maybe mangroves. Complete review and lots of pics at http://sawtoothkayak.blogspot.com/ , my private but open for view blog with no sales pitches.

The actual review is at the bottom, last post on the blog if you want to skip the background info and get straight to the review. As a full time RV traveler, my needs are pretty specific. For my use, the Sawtooth is a mixed blessing. I may sell it at a loss to try a Innova Safari instead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:42 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

saleroso wrote:
Be aware that this and other AIRE boats have an outer hull with air bladders inside. This is a very secure and rugged system, but water between the layers will take some time to dry. If you don't wait for the bulk of the water to work it's way out, you will end up with a puddle in your vehicle, whether the boat in inflated or deflated.

Also, if the boat is not taken apart and cleaned, any organic residue (found in all water, to a greater or lesser degree) between the layers will stink.

These boats are great if you leave them inflated, but for a boat for occasional use, you might prefer a single layer like the (excellent) Innovas.

How long does it take to dry? How hard is to disassemble? How often? The Sawtooth is at the top of my wish list. Thanks

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 am 
tsunamichuck wrote:
saleroso wrote:

How long does it take to dry? How hard is to disassemble? How often? The Sawtooth is at the top of my wish list. Thanks

Disassembly easy, pull the "air plugs", drain the air and any water, and roll it up. Drying - it you lay it out in the sun maybe 1 hour - maybe less.

Personally, the Sawtooth did not work out for the wife and I. Too heavy, too bulky, too slow. I never did try a Innova, but if buying a Inflatable today I would try the Sunny.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:32 am 
faltbootemeister

If considering an Innova, give the new Solar a try. I bought one this year, and for an inflatable, I love it. Used to have a Sunny, which is nice, but I find the Solar a real improvement.
Due to its extra length there's more room for two - I always thought the Sunny to be too small for two paddlers. Its end aren't pointing down like the Sunny, thus giving it a drier ride - the sides are a bit higher too. Assembly time and cost are really close. I realize the Sunny has very devoted followers, but the Solar is a Sunny-killer in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 am 

Thanks, in regards to taking apart, I meant removing the bladders, or can it be washed out with a mild detergent to help get rid of any organic material. I am looking for a used Sunny or Solar as well. The Boat People gives a rave review to the Sawtooth.
When you say bulky, do you mean when folded up or inflated. Will a Sawtooth folded up with seat paddle and pfd fit in a military duffle bag?
I have a Helios II I really like. I may just add some D rings and a seat to make it a solo and use the mid thwart as a thigh brace as well

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am 
I would not recommend removing bladders unless repairing/replacing. You could partially unzip and hose out, drying would likely then take days. The zippers are pretty much above the waterline unless you run surf, then they will be exposed.

I found the Sawtooth bulky both inflated and deflated, Innova is much smaller deflated and slightly less bulky inflated. I think it would be "real tight" getting a Sawtooth into a military duffle (as best memory serves me).

EDIT: I googled the Solar, and be advised the old models and new models are different. Boat people has the new model which would be better for both solo and tandem. For the 20 minutes or so I researched, I would take the new Boat People Solar first, then a used Sunny dual coated in that order. A older used Solar description didn't appeal to me. Other peoples choices will vary of course.

tsunamichuck wrote:
Thanks, in regards to taking apart, I meant removing the bladders, or can it be washed out with a mild detergent to help get rid of any organic material. I am looking for a used Sunny or Solar as well. The Boat People gives a rave review to the Sawtooth.
When you say bulky, do you mean when folded up or inflated. Will a Sawtooth folded up with seat paddle and pfd fit in a military duffle bag?
I have a Helios II I really like. I may just add some D rings and a seat to make it a solo and use the mid thwart as a thigh brace as well

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 am 

I ordered some drings for my Helios II and will get a seat and try that out while keeping an eye out for a used Sunny or Sawtooth. The H2 is much easier than either Feathercraft to take on crowded public transit and to carry for distances over a few hundred meters.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 pm 
I have the Aire Sawtooth and the Trinity II, both are excellent boats but don't think they would be the best thing for public transportation if that is what you have in mind. After use they do retain a lot of water which adds to the weight and it will leak out of the boat during transport. My sawtooth is an American made prototype and the Trinity is also from the US and they both weigh a little over 40 lbs a piece bone dry and they are bit bulky. I use Aire's kayak bag to transport them to and fro from launch points because it's a heavy duty pvc bag (which weighs 10 lbs itself!) that holds whatever water comes out during transport so my trunk stays dry. I can actually hear the water sloshing around inside the bag when I take it out of my trunk sometimes. All in all it's all lot of weight to be carrying around.
Yeah the water in bladder thing is a pain but these boats are absolutely bombproof, I paddle on Lake Erie which has the god forsaken zebra mussel shells all over it's beaches and they are like bits of broken glass. I've found little shards of these buggers inside these folded boats and even between the bladder and the outer skin and haven't had a leak to them either one yet. I've owned the Sawtooth for 3yrs the Trinity for a little over a year and I use them a lot. As far as cleaning the bladders I do it once a year usually at the end of summer to get the bits of sand and other debris, out sort of tedious but not something you are doing all the time.