Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying a new Narak from France and was wondering whether or not I need to buy a rudder ready version or not, as the non rudder ready version (what a mouthful :D ) can be had for quite a lot less money. My main use would be coastal Mediterranean near Naples, which can include some nasty short 1 metre chop and waves up to 2 metres with winds up to 15 knots plus, even when the day starts out much nicer. I'm comfortable with edging, high brace turns and using foot pressure to steer and am not a great fan of rudders but don't know how sensitive the Narak is to winds
Any advice much appreciated!
Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 am 
Hi,

I have the Narak with the rudder option, think the Narak works well paddling both with and without rudder. Of course, easy to get "lazy" once you have the option of mounting a rudder. The rudder is unusually big for a K1 , which nice for surfing and kayak sailing, but gives additional drag. As there is no adjustable skeg, one has to work a bit more when paddling without rudder. But I think the Narak is fairly neutral on different wind and wave directions without rudder.

Actually, I'd say that a sea-sock is more necessary for seaworthiness. And it's not available from Nautiraid directly, but supposedly, from a German company, http://www.zoelzer.de/ , but I've emailed them twice without reply so far.. And if you have a sea-sock, using the rudder with the Narak's "hanging stick" foot control, might be difficult. A bit fiddly to get the toes in the right position for rudder control even without sea-sock.

A bunch of Narak pictures on my blog if you're interested: http://jarladventures.blogspot.com/sear ... l/kayaking

/Jarl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:58 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Jarl,

Good to know that the seasock is more important than the rudder. Could you please post something if the German company get back to you? One other thing while I remember, did you get your sprayskirt with your Narak or buy it directly from Reed?

Tak! :D

Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 am 
The sprayskirt, as well as flotation bags, came included with the Kayak.

I bought my Narak straight from Nautiraid, shipping to Sweden was about 300 Euro if I remember correctly.

So I had not paddled it before buying. But turned out well.

Very nice kayak, high performance, think you'll be happy with it.

(what is "Reed")

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:48 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Reed are the uk company who developed the Acquatherm material used in the Narak sprayskirt, so I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that they make that Sprayskirt

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:14 am 
Got a response now from that German company. They do offer a sea-sock, but has to be bought together with their spray skirt to fit. Price is €195+€183. Not cheap, but maybe worth it. I like sprayskirts with braces, but not a must. Guess it can be ordered in more colors than yellow, black would look better. Here are some pictures.

-BTW, that Narak on those pictures seem to have a small hatch front and rear. That was not available when I bought mine. Perhaps a new option. Would be a big plus to have/get, I'd say.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for this. Looks nice (I like yellow :D ), but it does seem very expensive if you have to buy what looks like a pretty ordinary sprayskirt (not neoprene by the looks of it) when you've already got one. Hatches do look useful given the length of the kayak...

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Changing the topic a bit here I know, but do you think it might be possible to cut the 140 cm long wooden chines/gunwales in half with appropriate (similar to original) joints for a shorter folded package - that alone would be enough to convince me to buy one as the standard length is a bit too long for taxis and in theory too long for the funicular I take to get down to the ferry port. (sale ends Sunday)

Thanks in anticipation - any opinions welcome! :D

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:03 pm 
Well, if you're very good with tools and can evaluate strenght, I guess it might be possible as the frame is made out of wood.

But I'd never go that route myself, even the slightest chance of making the frame weaker and/or more flexing would be a big no for me. And of course, it would most likely void manufactor guarantee of the frame.

I agree that the 140cm long frame package is a bit of a hassle though. Feathercrafts with aluminium frame gives a more compact package. Not as nice looking though and their assembly is more of a workout.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:51 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the words of caution. I'll see if I can't find a workable combination of backpack for the skin and trolley for the frame for train transportation, and just put up with it sticking out the top of my bike for travel to more remote destinations. Put my order in today so should have it before Christmas. :D
Simon