Aleut, Kodiak, and Edisto have been Discontinued.

Moderators: mje, krudave

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Aleut, Kodiak, and Edisto have been Discontinued.

Post by Jake »

Apparently this is so. DuPont cites several reasons for discontinuing hypalonwith an emphasis on environmental and commercial issues. It seems that the patent rights have expired and "hypalon" can now be manufactured by just about anyone who wants to mess around with the stuff. And, it appears that there are now polyethylene products available that are as good and, maybe, less expensive than hypalon.

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Apparently Long Haul is experimenting with a lighter hull material as well. I've seen an ad for new hulls with this material in the 'for sale' section.

I refolded both my AII hypalon and T9 rubber hulls yesterday. The old T9 rubber hull was so soft and supple it was almost like folding a blanket. Probably won't last, but it sure was easy to fold and much easier to pack. If the Poly is similarly flexible and just as strong... seems like a win win.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Jake

Post by Jake »

The hypalon hull on my 1998 K Light Plus (which I've only owned for a few months) is almost unblemished and that might be because the previous owner either didn't use it much or else treated it very gently. But it is heavy material and not easy to pack and, seems to me, if there are newer materials available that are lighter in weight than hypalon, easier to fold and with equal or superior UV, abrasion and puncture resistance, than there would be a decided advantage in using the newer stuff whether it's called polyethylene, Elvaloy or whatever. Feathercraft is apparently still using hypalon but their latest boat, the Kurrent seems to have a much lighter weight skin than their other boats and needs to be used much more carefully so as to avoid damage to the hull.

kudzu

Post by kudzu »

Just bought a new (to me) 2010 Aleut. Love it so far. I'm a bit small for it or perhaps it's a bit big for me. ;) Still, compared to the rental kayaks I've paddled it tracks much better & feels good on the water. However, I need a longer than expected paddle because of the width. This feels a little like paddling a canoe in a kayak style. Am quite pleased & satisfied with my purchase. However, if we really do get into paddling a lot then I will look toward a different model in a couple years, like a Kiawah.

Do notice that mine goes together differently from the newer Folbot models. Still, I think we'll have it down to 15 min put together time next time & perhaps as little as 10 min soon.

Folbot seems to continue to offer accessory for their discontinued models but am thinking I'll be buying a spray skirt & different seat soon. Don't need those yet. Will be nice to have though & then no worries about later availability.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Good to see you are happy with your Folbot. As regards improving the seat, in my Folbot Yukon i put a "camping seat" with the rods removed, on top of the Folbot seat , (i bought the seat at Canadian tire, cheap) and it gives me the comfort i need at 75, here,s a photo that might help. ( there are other things which i have done that don,t affect the seat)
Attachments
MOSE lakes 17 june 08 005.jpg

kudzu

Post by kudzu »

john allsop wrote:As regards improving the seat, in my Folbot Yukon i put a "camping seat" with the rods removed, on top of the Folbot seat , (i bought the seat at Canadian tire, cheap) and it gives me the comfort i need at 75, here,s a photo that might help.
Thanks for the idea. Will look around at what is available locally. Seems worth a try.

flatwater

Post by flatwater »

Interestingly, Folbot has revived all three boats.
They kept getting requests for them. Not very many, but enough to put them back in the line. They've got all the tooling and jigs for them, and since they make all boats to order, there are few reasons to not make them.

Of course the newer design boats with lighter frames have been greatly outselling the older models, but there are still people who want a more rugged boat and are willing to take the greater weight and more complicated assembly as part of the price.
Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin

Return to “Folbots”