Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pakboat Quest?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm 
faltbootemeister

Nice kayak. I wonder if one could use a seasock with it. A FC seasock was used on an XT-17 I know of.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Pakboats have just updated their website to give the true length of the Quest 135 as 13'9" or 4.2 metres :D

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The Pakboats web site now has a bit more detailed info on the Quests. In addition to the simpler frame assembly, the Quests will also be a couple inches taller. Hopefully someone in the Seattle area will carry them so I can check them out at least.

I'd be hesitant to get one immediately until they've had more real world field testing, and feedback from paddlers; most new models seems to have at least a couple design quirks that are later resolved.

I'm still really curious to see what happens with the XT-17. Since there are still so many left (it's been 'on sale' for about 8 mos now), I wonder how well it has sold.

Update: Here's a brief interview with Alv at Canoecopia. He presents a brief intro/demo of the Quest:

http://www.canoekayak.com/gear/pakboat-quest/

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

No prizes for guessing what this is :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/103530664582188195084/PakboatsQuest135?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNncoaWGm6CjvAE&feat=directlink

Will get it wet next weekend

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:42 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

siravingmon wrote:

No, guessing !?! It reads Quest 13.5 right on the deck!! By all means, please give us a full assessment after you've tried it out! :D

That frame structure looks like a beautifully simplified version of the XT. It looks like they eliminated the I-beams, and kept everything else. I wonder how rigid it is. Supposedly, it's not as rigid as the XT, but still fairly rigid.

Are you getting the 133 or the 155? I'll probably get the 155 eventually, but need to save some money. I'd also like to wait a year or two, after it's been field tested: new models often have a few flaws that are later resolved.

I gotta say, they look like great boats for average-size paddlers. The 133 looks great for day paddling, while the 155 is about the perfect size for both day paddling, and short to moderate distance touring. Yum, Yum! :D :D :D :D :D :D

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

My 135 feels very rigid, much more so than the Narak, closer to the Fujita. The Fujita is the easier kayak to assemble but the 135 has more freeboard and less rocker. Both are very very light :-)
Mounting the keel on the stems tensions the skin on the Quest but the keel is pretty wayward until the ribs go in. The gunwales sit in sleeves in the skin while the chines are freefloating but pinched between 2 of the 3 air tubes on each side as well sitting against the outside of plastic sleeves on the ribs (edit 14 6 13: correction, the chines should sit just under the plastic sleeves, resting against them and the ribs)

Last edited by siravingmon on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:54 am 
I wonder what pakboats definition of an average size paddler is? I am 5'5" 170lbs. Am seriously thinking about the Quest 135. I only do day trips and currently paddle a 14' kevlar kayak(36lbs) and an ultra light carbon/kevlar 12' pack canoe(20lbs).

Happy Paddling,

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:23 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I vary between145. -155 lbs and there's still loads of freeboard left so I don't think 170 lb would be too much for the 155, although I imagine it wouldn't be quite as responsive to edging.
Taking mine for its first trip around Capri tomorrow. Can't wait :D i discovered that my Reed Chillcheater spray skirt from my Nautiraid Narak is a perfect fit so I now have a dry cockpit too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:49 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Update for Gary: went overnight camping with my 153 lbs and 24 lbs of sleeping bag, ground mat, tent, spare paddle, dry bags etc (dry weight). The kayak felt a bit slower, as you'd expect, but there was still tons of freeboard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:58 pm 
forum fan

shiraz627 wrote:
I wonder what pakboats definition of an average size paddler is? I am 5'5" 170lbs.
I'm 5'8" and close to 190 in paddling gear (almost exactly average for an American man). I've been happy with the way my 135 handles. It still edge turns and maneuvers well. I had it in a river, both upstream and down, and didn't have any trouble controlling it around the bends. I can get it up to hull speed without much exertion, so I may be a bit "overpowered" for the size of the boat, but there's no problem carrying my weight and it's nice low-effort cruiser.

Sold: Pakboats Quest 135, Firstlight 480C, Dagger Edisto, Ocean Kayak Sprinter
Selling: Hobie Adventure Island