Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/enoch ... 3.jpg.html

In the rare event that anyone else might use the information, here is how I converted my A2 from the "old" seat (1969) to the new seat (2010). I hope someone can use it!

I shaped a piece of mahogany plywood to span the edges of the keel board and receive the aluminum Klepper seat track. I used plywood that is dimensionally the same as the original wooden seat bottom. I stiffened the plywood with two oak slats underneath that have a dual purpose: the help carry some of the seat weight (that would be me) and they fit neatly between front and side edges of the keel board, providing a nice secure fit. I could add the clip from the original seat but it is not necessary, everything is snug and secure.

Along with the lumbar support this makes my 61 year old back very comfortable.

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

What i would like to know, is this new seat comfortable? i have the molded seats that came after the inflatable cushion ones and these molded seats are torture after a short while, i have made them ok by putting gel pads on top.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:07 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

The molded seat is, for me, very comfortable. I have spent up to 6 hours straight in it paddling/sailing my quattro. I had the long haul comfort seats strapped to the original Klepper seat boards in the A2 and I could not go more than 30 minutes without discomfort. But I know some people who HATE the molded seats, its all up to the individual.

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

greg,

Excellent seat conversion tip and points on seat comfort!
Indeeed, there does not seem to be a universal solution for everyone.
I personally have two issues with seats: Seating comfort and lumbar support.

When we purchase our Klepper AE II, the previous owner had thoughtfully provided two infinitely adjustable back bands. These provide exactly the lumbar support I need. We use these and Skwoosh pads on the molded foam seats, perfect long term comfort.

My little Nautiraid Miniraid has an initially very comfortable simple suspension seat bottom. Problem is that my left leg goes numb after a while. Lifting myself up for a minute or two aleviates this, but I am now testing a simple boat floatation cushion. I also use the backband from the AE II instead of the simple piece of foam against the coaming for a back rest.

Ironically, my sporty Klepper T67 has the best seat arrangement. Mainly because the full length back gives excellent lumbar support and the fixed angle between seat bottom and back is perfect for me. As padding on the bare plywood seat I only need a Skwoosh pad and either the back band or a simple gardening kneeling pad (goes all the way to the top) for the back.

We find the Skwoosh pads to be just the ticket: Rubbery bottom to prevent sliding around, thin gell padding and a nylon fabric seating surface. Nice and thin too, so you remain seated low in the kayak.

John,

Do you mean the hard molded seat bottom, or the more common molded foam one? I believe that Klepper indeed used a light colored hard molded seat bottom before switching to the black molded foam seats.

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:54 pm 

The Klepper seat i am referring to is a black molded seat which came out in i think the mid 1970s, these are screwed with short wood screws onto the flat ply seat (from underneath) where the square inflatable cushion that Klepper supplied use to sit. I use a Skwoos pad with the built in back that will fit on the Klepper back rest and on top of the molded seat, on my other Klepper i have the Yakpads also with the back rest which fits better, but i find the Skwoosh better as it is softer. Sorry i can,t add photos at present as my photo file has some problems.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:02 am 
We bought the Skwoosh gel pads because the LH Comfort Seats caused seat pain after 2 hours. Now 4 hours is no problem. Great find at REI for under $50 each.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:58 am 

We are starting to go off track. Wayland have a comfort seat that looks as though it,s inflatable. It can be seen on the Uk Wayland dealers web site, but with the apparent problems getting sevice from Wayland, and i can,t see one in the "flesh" i am doubtfull about ordering one, plus inflatables can go down at any time when there is a fair weight on them.