Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RZ 85 or AERIUS 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am 
Hi,

I wish to buy a folding kayak with a limited budget (about 500 - 800 €). I saw good ads on RZ85 and AERIUS 2. All the years 70-80 , but could you advise me to choose between the two models. Apparently , the RZ are bigger, faster, but longer to assembly. The AERIUS is deemed stable and suitable for marine use especially under sail ... But can you give me other qualities or defects ? What about their longevity , principally for hull ? Thank you for your advice :)

Post subject: Re: RZ 85 or AERIUS 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:07 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Ralph Hoehn is the real expert on Pouch, and he rarely checks in with us. I have a fair amount of experience with Klepper, and have been in several Pouches. The pros and cons are as you listed. Getting parts is easier for Kleppers, but they are certainly available for Pouches. Pouch has a better sail rig. The RZ85 is narrow because it doesn't have sponsons-- I might call that an advantage, but I'm sure some will disagree (the cockpit is at least as wide as Klepper, since no space is lost to the sponsons). The Pouch RZ96 has sponsons, but is as wide as Kleppers. The Pouch hulls are lighter and at least as durable as the Klepper, and they are easier to repair (PVC/canvas instead of Klepper's hypalon/canvas or rubber/canvas). The key point in most old folding kayaks is the condition of the hull. If it were me, I would pay the most attention to the condition of the boat, and not worry about Pouch vs. Klepper. Pouch boats are very good and you won't be giving up anything to Kleppers.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:34 am 
Thanks Chris for this answer. So i understand they are two goods kayaks and the condition is the most important. I live in west of France and i want to mostly paddle at sea. With the wave, the sponsons are really usefull ? You say the sail is better on Pouch ? The rigging of the pouch seems to me more sketchy... By the way, i can't buy the two so i choose by the one who seem in best condition :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:39 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

You are very welcome.

There is also the French Nautiraid, although I have no personal experience of them. And there are others at the same quality-level-- Feathercraft, Long Haul, and Fujita come to mind, although they are less likely to be available in France.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:05 pm 
I know for nautiraid i search for one but the price is at mini 1200 -1500 €... So, it's for that reason i turn to the older Pouch or Klepper :) Another things, I measure 1m90 and I wonder if the space will be sufficient in the klepper's cockpit ? By picture, I think the space between the rear seat and the back of the foward seat is about 1.20m, and 0.90m length for the foward paddler, is it correct ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

You are right to worry about rear cockpit length if you paddle double. At 6'2" myself I did not have enough room to extend my legs and keep my knees below the combing. I believe that is why the newer A2 is 545 cm vs. the older 520. All of the extra room in the newer model is given to the rear paddler.

g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor