Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:57 pm 
Hi ,

I am new to this forum and hope this is the correct place to ask stupid questions, however I require the assistance of you all with the extensive knowledge of owners and builders of folding kayaks.

I have two Tyne folding kayaks one is a single and the other is a double. The hull of the double requires some repairs and I would like your suggestions.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:15 pm 
Bill wrote:
... some repairs ...

The correct anwer is: Do a little bit of this and a little bit of that... :lol:

But joking aside, can you show some pictures or describe more details?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:27 am 
The Tyne folding kayak deck material is blue 15oz cotton duck canvas. the hull is cotton duck canvas material coated with numerous layers of rubberised material with a silver grey finish.

I have removed a protective strip which was along the full length of the hull I have taken some pictures however I don't know how to attach them to this site.
I would normally select and paste.

My intention is to use a rubberised repair material similar to the tube for repairing rubber boots this is available from B&Q DIY outlet or fishing stores.
I will use this to reinforce the inside of the hull along the fold line at the base or middle of the hull to help prevent cracking this material I have used on the exterior for scratches etc.

I will renew the exterior strip if I can find a suitable material if not it will be refitted and patched.

Bill
Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:36 am 
Bill wrote:
... I have taken some pictures however I don't know how to attach them to this site.
I would normally select and paste...

When you write a post there is a blue area unter the text box. There you find "Options" and "Upload attachment".
It ist also fine to use the button "URL" over the text box if you have your pictueres in an web album like picasa or similar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:36 am 
I have attempted to attach the pick however the post reply is-The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 am 
Then try second possibility: web album.
Once you have created your web album, it goes like this example: http://picasaweb.google.de/Blauwal4/Bootstransport
Just copy and paste the adress of your web album into the text box.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:33 pm 
Bill,

Send me the pic as an attachment ( .jpg ) and I will post it for you if you like, or you can simply include the link on your posting.

send to tom_yost@msn.com

Regards,

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:24 am 
Bill,

Attached are the pics you sent me via email. Use the links any way you like.

Brushed on liquid hypalon ( Dupont synthetic rubber) may be a temporary fix,
but it appears to me that the cotton is pretty much shot .

Have you considered making a new skin yourself from PVC ? It's not too difficult,
and quite inexpensive compared to a commercially produced skin. Making your own
skin also means that you are highly qualified to repair it should the need arise.

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 am 
Thank you Tom and Der olle,

I appreciate all your help, I will search the net and see if I can source the liquid hypalon in Scotland, the main hull is not in bad repair it is only the outer protective strip.

If I find a source in Scotland or England I will let you all know.

Regards
Bill
Scotland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:08 pm 
forum fanatic

Dear Bill,
I do not know if you have repaired your Tyne yet but mine is in a similar state to that you describe. I have been carrying out tests on repair methods and have posted my results on a thread on this site under skin repairs. Just visit the repairs section. you can also find several other Tyne owners on the Song Of The Paddle Forum under the Tyne Prefect thread.
I tried liquid Hypalon (quite expensively) and it was abject in this application. It is intended for re-painting rigid inflatables and is insufficiently viscose for canvas.

Yours sincerely,
Malcolm Tierney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry, but if you look in the upper right of prior posts you will see that the last time that thread had been active was 8 years ago.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 pm 
forum fanatic

Yes I noticed that somewhat belatedly. I trust that Bill was not lost at sea.