Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooper zipper problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am 
recent arrival

Hello,
I have been using a Cooper for 5 or 6 years, something like 150 days mainly along rivers (Danube, Loire) or seashores (Creta, Orkney). It looks now like an old cat all patched, but I can say I appreciate it a lot (light on the back, pleasant and fast on water...)

Now I got a big problem : I cannot close anymore the zipper of the stern deck, the slider got broken (it got distorded and opened on one side) ! It seems that the teeth are still good, because I could zip and unzip even after the pull tab first broke and been replaced by a cord... Nevertheless these last week it was gettig harder and harder to get the slider clutch into the teeth at the verry beginning (10cm ahead) of the zipper.

Does anybody got this problem ? Do you have any idea to fix it ?

Thanks and all the best from Paris
François

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:32 pm 
faltbootemeister

I had that problem - two years ago - Folbot put in a new slider without charge. However, since the company is no longer operational, perhaps you can bring it to an outdoor camping store.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:21 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The only thing I can think of is to bring to either a seamstress or maybe an outdoor shop. It seems like you'd mainly need someone to sew on a new zipper, or repair the existing one.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:28 am 
paddler

Yes!! The same thing happened to my 2005 Cooper. I was very frustrated because the boat is pretty much useless without a working zipper. I managed (after trying many times) to get the teeth back aligned and the zipper together. I NEVER unzip it all the way now. It involves a very careful pull to get the stern tensioner into the skin but it works!

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:57 am 
recent arrival

Thanks to all of you,

I saw it exists a supposed magic slider "ZlideOn", used for changing broken slider without unsewing the zipper end. One has just to open it, insert the teeth in and clip it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCWqhOjArE

It seems working for any zipper type (plastic, metallic, ...) and up to or 7,60-7,90 mm width (size 8) or 8,60-9,00mm (size 10).
The Cooper (deck or backpack) zippers are YKK plastic model, but I'm not sure of the size (8 or 10 ?)

Haven't you heard of or tried this solution ?

If it happens to work and... last, it could be worth taking some within the repair kit... just in case.

Cheers
François

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 pm 
forum fanatic

Francois,

Have you tried treating the length or a portion of the zipper with a lubricant of some kind? McNett ("Zip Tech") makes some. A sewing or craft shop might have some. I don't have my copy of Ralph Diaz' folding kayak bible with me, he probably has some recommendations. You might try a scuba shop or maybe a normal sporting goods store. It might just need a thorough cleaning with fresh water and then a dry zipper lubricant and it will be fine, and not need to be replaced.

Richard
HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Cooper, Citibot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:23 am 
recent arrival

Hi,
I finally succeed in fixing my Cooper slider, using a Zlideon slider (10A-1 model).
It's a bit expensive for a slider (10€), but it works good, although a litlle less smoothly than the original YKK one. So it's better to put a cord on the pull.

Nevertheless, it would be better to use the same slider model, that is YKK 10V metallic single pull, locking. It seems really easy to set it from the open end (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztgKTHtjQY).

Thanks to all fpor your tips and have good summer paddling
François

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm 
forum fan

Francois:

10V on the slider identifies the slider as for a #10 Vislon zipper. Sailrite or most other outdoor fabric suppliers in the US can sell you whatever you need.