Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 pm 
recent arrival

This is my first post I think as I have bought my first folding Kayak as above. To cut a very long story short I live in France near to over 2000 kilometres of little canals in the Charente Region. You can actually get lost in there so I thought I would be a fool not to take advantage of this beautiful place. In France there are no regulations and you can go on any rivers you want total freedom!!!!! From seeing the kayak advertised to getting it took over 5 months eventually the owner drove 4 hours to my home to deliver it. He was an absolute gentleman and came with his mum a very nice person too! The boat came with all sorts of stuff including a full sailing rig used only once in fact the boat has only been used 10 times in its 10-year life. I am not saying it's immaculate but near as @%&$ it. As it had been stored for a long time in his mums garage a little beasty had chewed a little hole on the bow but that has been repaired with what I would say is a miracle product. Tear Mender absolutely does what it say on the bottle and what a fabulous job it did too. As can be expected it needed a clean there was a few marks on the rubber bottom sorted with Sikoflex in 20 mins and she looks stunning. Will be putting her together in a few days to iron out any problems. When I am happy she is safe I will take her for her first visit to Green Venice as it is called. I run English classes at a local social centre and one of my students who is 74 has been paddling these waterways since he can remember so he has volunteered to be a guide. Some of the waterways are so remote that there are restaurants that can only be visited by boat. I took a hire boat out on these waterways last year and decided to buy a Kayak to explore I was totally mesmerised by the place. The animals don't run away the birds come to see you it is a magic wonderworld. So when I put Jobert as she is called on the water I hope to post a few photos. Oh, by the way, I am going to make a Greenland paddle bought the wood and the book just hope I am up to it. JIM by the way a supposed word as been blanked out in the English language this is not a swear word begins with D ends in N and has AM in the middle bizzare

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome to the forum. A nice job on the repairs by the sound of it. Just in case you didn't already know, if the Sikaflex(291i?) doesnt adhere well then you'll find (cleaning the surface with alcohol first) then using their primer makes a huge difference, at least that's what I found
Do please let us know which parts of the Charente have restaurants only accessible by boat and such abundant wildlife, it sounds idyllic!

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

I've configured the auto-censor to be a bit over-cautious, and some of its actions- like the one littleblue notes, are probably just there for my own amusement. Hey, I don't get paid for doing this,you know ;-)

- your administrator