Aleut Flotation Bags

Moderators: mje, krudave

MGGRADY
forum fanatic

Aleut Flotation Bags

Post by MGGRADY »

I liked the floatation bags that came with my Folbot Aleut, but I didn’t like just throwing them into the bow and stern. I wanted to be able to inflate them so that they would actually help hold my cargo in position.

I attached some webbing and d-rings to the bags with Aquaseal, added a hook at the small end, and attached some d-rings to my frame tubing so that I could hang the bags close to the deck. I install the bags before the frames are put into the skin, then inflate the bags after assembly. I removed the short vinyl tubing from the bags and replaced them with longer pieces that would allow me to inflate the bags after the kayak is assembled.

I have a separate post titled 'Attaching D-rings to frame tubing' also in Folbots.
Attachments
Stern Float 2.jpg
Stern Float 2.jpg (66.97 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Bow Float 2.jpg
Bow Float 2.jpg (68.69 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Last edited by MGGRADY on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

photogoo
forum fanatic

Re: Aleut Flotation Bags

Post by photogoo »

Awesome work with the Aleut, have you seen float bags that also work as dry bags? Might be an idea if you ever want to do some overnight excursions.

ronin

Post by ronin »

I like your solution. My Aleut came to me without float bags. I ordered one and an inflatable dry bag and will be mounting them in a similar manner. Thanks for posting and including the photos.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I bought several canoe float bags for my kayaks. They're oversized, so when you inflate them in place they do a good job of filling all available space. They also keep keep gear in place.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “Folbots”