Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:26 am 
recent arrival

My big kahuna suffers from some wear/broken rib. Since the shop is not open yet and others suffer from similar problems I'm thinking of re-engineer and produce some frame parts.
In the long term I could think of creating complete carbon replacement frames.
If anybody is interested in such parts, please tell me.

- big kahuna
- heron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:23 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

My Wisper suffered some slightly bent longerons after I stupidly hauled it too far set up on a too closely spaced roof rack during heavy windstorms in Quebec 2 summers ago. I have gradually managed to pretty well straighten the worst of the bends but a couple of them might need to be replaced to restore it to perfect condition eventually. I will know better when I set the boat up tomorrow for the first time since the re-bending efforts. So keep us advised on your progress.

Some of my longerons like to pop out of the nylon plastic rib slots too. I've started having to add cable ties to my assembly kit to tension some components in place.

I'm experimenting myself with making replacement sponsons for a couple of Pakboats, which I am basing on the design of Feathercraft sponsons (vinyl tubes in nylon sleeves). If I can come up with a feasibly economical version, maybe something else that could be offered to the other Feathercraft "orphans" until (if ever) somebody involved with the company makes such things available again.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 pm 
forum fanatic

I'd definitely be interested in spare parts for a 2004 Kahuna!

It's not clear from Feathercraft's site what the status is on the planned store . . . but I guess there's still a month of autumn for them to give us an update. It's not ideal timing for the xmas Baja trip I'm planning . . .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 am 

There has been no recent indication from FC that parts or components will soon be available. Though Feathercraft products have a well-deserved reputation for durability and ruggedness, stuff happens and an unreplaceable component could likely render an otherwise we'll-found boat into a valueless heap of skin and tubing. Well, the Feathercraft website is still up so maybe there's still a chance that it won't go the way of Folbot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Pretty much everything on a Feathercraft can be replaced without special tooling. The tubing is available, the ribs can be reproduced in HDPE or even marine plywood, and the hull can be repaired by someone like Mark Ekhart at Long Haul.

I wonder if we have any CAD-savvy members who could turn tracings of ribs into files that could be sent to on-line fabricators, who could then duplicate the parts on request?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hdpe ... BzEALw_wcB

http://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:50 am 

Such solutions might be workable for handy FC owners with a bent longeron or cracked HDPE frame member but I think that most of us Feathercraft paddlers would prefer having an authentic replacement component rather than make do with an inferior lash-up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Jake wrote:
Such solutions might be workable for handy FC owners with a bent longeron or cracked HDPE frame member but I think that most of us Feathercraft paddlers would prefer having an authentic replacement component rather than make do with an inferior lash-up.

A replacement need not be inferior. It might even be better. Making a duplicate HDPE rib is well within the skills of anyone with a little woodworking experience. If we had CAD files we could order duplicates identical to the originals. Given that the availability of replacement parts from Feathercraft's founder is still unknown, owners should be looking for alternatives.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hear hear! Couldn't agree more, Michael

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 pm 
forum fanatic

I have followed this discussion. Obviously, Pakboats does not make Feathercraft parts, but we may be able to help in some cases. Our PU kayak hull materials are compatible with Feathercraft's polyurethane fabrics in that PU adhesives will work on both. We use a heavier material for bottoms and a lighter one for the sides - both with 2000 denier woven substrate.

Our aluminum is not the same dimension as Feathercraft frames, but it may be possible to substitute in some cases. We are certainly willing to help if we can.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 pm 

It would be a gracious and helpful parting gesture on Doug Simpson's part if he could put together DIY instructions for the repair or replacement of longerons and frames and post it on the FC website. On the other hand, I'd be more likely to follow up on Alv's offer of assistance or perhaps even consider acquiring a Pakboat to replace my FC. Alv hasn't abandoned the folding kayak market and I'd like to help him stay in business. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:07 pm 
forum fan

DIY replacement parts need not be inferior to OEM. If you are at all handy and have a few basic tools you can easily fabricate parts (ribs specifically) that are stronger than the originals. I cut out a set of ribs for a Big Kahuna from UHMW without problem and I am confident that they will outlast the rest of the boat. Currently I'm building a new sea sock, cockpit cover and spray skirt as the urethane is flaking off the originals. Building a deck bag and launch socks while I'm at it. Keeps me out of the bars at night.