Reparing old Klepper paddles

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

overland
faltbootemeister

Reparing old Klepper paddles

Post by overland »

I've got a couple of old Klepper paddles that have some delamination. The biggest issue on both is that some of the outer mahogany lamination, which is paper thin, is coming off. I was going to try to glue it down, and then I thought, what's the point? I'm thinking of stripping off whatever is loose and then sheathing the blades with lightweight fiberglass--maybe 2 oz--and epoxy. That's how I make canoe paddles. Is there any reason not to try this?

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Reparing old Klepper paddles

Post by JohnSand »

That should work well. You could also re-glue the laminations with epoxy. I would wrap it in wax paper and clamp. Tape the clamps or blocks just in case.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

The problem is the paddle is curved, making it hard to clamp. What do you suggest? The clamping block needs to be curved.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Are they really worth repairing? My best paddle for my Aerius 2 is a Nautiraid Eskimo. Quite slender blades and I think they make one the same length as the one Klepper provide with their boats, also a longer length if you wanted one. Which is what I have. (I threw away my delaminated Klepper ones)

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

Epoxy does not require high pressure. You just need enough to hold the laminations together. A couple of clamps over doorskin might do it, or Styrofoam.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

Are they worth repairing? I suppose they are, but not worth putting a lot time and effort into it. I think I'll do something quick and dirty. I do like the Nautiraid Eskimo paddles. I've got a little experience making canoe paddles; maybe a kayak paddle is next on the list!

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

In that case you might just use some gorilla tape and keep it as a spare paddle.
My Dad made a paddle from a spruce 2x4 by just carving it down. It is light, flexible and easy to use. It is my favorite paddle, largely because age and shoulder injuries make wider blades a literal pain.

Return to “Kayak Repair”