Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:58 am 
Greetings I just purchased a Klepper Aerius 2 seater last weekend at a garage sale. I own a canoe and use it frequently so when I saw the Aerius lying there and found out the price there was no way I was leaving without it. It has a Missouri boat tag on it from 1971, so it is at least that old. I figured out how to take it apart and pack it in about 20 minutes. Once I got home and started searching the web I found out what I had from the Klepper website. Nice suprise. The boat seems to be in good shape, I plan on taking it out Friday for a trial run. Found out about this site from Wikipedia. Good to be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:32 am 
You've landed where there is plenty of info on Kleppers, Rick. Welcome to the site and I hope you find it as friendly, useful and informative as I have. And best of luck on Friday.

Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:22 pm 
Friday went fantastic, my youngest son (16) and I set out for a local lake. We had a shakey start but soon got it somewhat under control. The Klepper did not draw any water and handled well. I assembled it on Thursday and found I have a cracked rib and the sponsons do not hold air. Still it was a great trip. I have a lot to learn, it is simalar but not the same as canoeing.

Post subject: new
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:58 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

replace or repair the rib, you should be able to buy a new one. Important , replace the sponsons now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 pm 
I am looking for a local supplier for epoxy and adhesives as I have a few repairs to make. I've pulled the sponsons they are in pretty good shape, nothing a couple of patches shouldn't fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Rick wrote:
I am looking for a local supplier for epoxy and adhesives as I have a few repairs to make.
Look for epoxy at the hardware store or the marine store. Avoid the five-minute stuff; it does not survive well in water. Rockler carries epoxy, and so does Woodcrafter, if there is one of these in your area.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Thin epoxy is best, as you want to saturate the wood (and fiberglass, if you're using that as well). Hint: Any epoxy that is mixed 50:50 in equal parts has fillers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

mje wrote:
Hint: Any epoxy that is mixed 50:50 in equal parts has fillers.
Or, is the undesirable five-minute stuff, which is not water-impervious.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:08 pm 
The 5 minutes stuff is not desirable? i fixed some cracks in the front and end pour of my seward gemini with the 5 minutes stuff, the only epoxy avaliable in Austria and hope, i am not getting into troubles with that stuff! :x

However, since the end pour (slabs of epoxy in which the rudder hardware is anchored) happens to be in the waterproof compartment of this rigid seakayak, it is not much likley to get wet. :?

By the way, on our favorite online auktion house are sometimes ribs and sponsons avaliable. i can help with shipping any items from Europe overseas, if needed. Maybe you want to buy a used Klepper?

http://cgi.ebay.at/Faltboot-Klepper-Aer ... dZViewItem

:wink:

servus,

Willi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:43 pm 
Dave is right - I had a bad experience with 5-minute epoxy. It changed its colour to whitish and peeled off the fiberglass hull. Fiberglass is one of the best materials to glue with epoxy, so I was really surprised. Regular epoxy costs the same (about $4 for a small tube), but its quality is better, including waterproof applications. But it is dense, and doesn't impregnate small pores and cracks (as it was noted there, because it contains filler).