Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Klepper and canines
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:17 am 
I have just acquired a used Klepper Aerius II kayak with S4 sails. It is my hope to paddle and sail it with my human partner and 2 Standard Poodles. The dogs weigh just about 50 pounds each and are even tempered. They are excellent passsssengers in the car. The will sit patiently for hours and hopefully will do so in the boat.

I am interested in any suggestions regarding dogs in folding kayaks. Tips on getting them used to being in a boat would be useful as well as possible hazards to the dogs or the boat. Are hypalons hulls resistant enough to dog claws or do they need to be kept especially short and blunt? What about the deck, will it puncture easily if a dog decides to jump on it?

I have floatation vests on order for the girls and wonder if these are effective and whether they are generally tolerated by dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:10 am 
Here's a nice article on dogs and PFDs: http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findin ... ngsdog.htm

Nohoval

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:43 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

my dog met his demise on a wok. My ex was really pissed off when I purchased a Feathercraft over 10 years ago. She took it out on my dog.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Post subject: Dog
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:46 pm 
Chuck, I'm sorry about your dog. I remember reading on another forum somthing you'd written about it.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Klepper and canines
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:29 pm 
>hazards to the dogs or the boat. Are hypalons hulls resistant enough to dog claws or do they need to be kept especially short and blunt?

Put some foam between the keelboard and chine-rods (cheap stuff like sleeping pad foam is fine). Hypalon is resistant enough, but why take chances...

>What about the deck, will it puncture easily if a dog decides to jump on it?

It might, but dogs aren't cats, so hopefully they won't use claws too much on it.

>I have floatation vests on order for the girls and wonder if these are effective and whether they are generally tolerated by dogs.

I think that all dogs instinctively know how to swim. Should be enough for a short while. Probably, they would survive longer than most of people, especially in cold water (and it is usually cold when stormy).

Post subject: dogs in boats
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

it,s a bit late in replying to your dogs in boats, but I had a german shepard and we travelled hundereds of miles to-gether ,I used to put the klepper bags under her to protect her and the boat, and everything was fine. best of luck on your adventures you will soon see you need two boats and later on one for each member of the family when I reached that stage I made english style TYNE skin covered kayaks their 15ft two seater makes a fine single I still have them buts that another story. my dog sat in the front seat looking over the spray deck.