Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: solar power
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:39 am 
john allsop wrote:
If you can run a GPS from your car cigarette lighter socket, using the GPS accessory connector, why can,t you run your GPS directly from a water proofed flexable solar cell mounted on your deck,

well, old thread... GPS draws up to 100 mA or more (units like Map76csx consume 2AA connected in series in less than 16 hrs). The values of current shown in solar panel specs are apparently for maximum or average output on sunny day. It will be zero when there is no sun.

Charging the batteries, - yes, this I can understand. But again, - not much need to do this for a GPS, at least on those trips that most of us do. GPS doesn't have to be "on" at all times. With intermittent use 16 hrs is plenty - enough for 2 weeks or so. (And this is for VERY power-hungry units with tons of memory and with compass function always "on"). Units with non-expandable memory have 20-30% longer battery life (10% according to Garmin, but it's more like 30% less with constant use of those memory cards), and those without compass - longer yet.

Weather/news/music radio... 12-16 hrs of battery life for relatively big SW receiver like Sony 7600gr or Degen/Kaito 1103, size of a pocket-book, loud and with all the broadcasting bands, plus SSB. There are many places where such a gizmo becomes necessary, as VHF weather channels are not available. Again, 16-20 hrs is enough for more than a week. (With listening through the earphones it should be enough for 2 weeks).

Monitoring Ch16 is perhaps the only reason to carry a solar panel on deck (which monitoring, as it's been noted, is mandatory so far only in the USA, and not enforced, AFAIK).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 am 
Site Admin

You can certainly continuously trickle charge a battery with a solar cell while using it. I have a simple system with a 10 watt solar panel and a 7.5AH sealed gel cell I use with my portable amateur radio station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:47 pm 
My mistake - it is really 16-20 hrs for small all-band radios, not 12-16. Depends on the battery capacity (and the radio, and the listening mode). Could be more than 30 hrs with earphones and good batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:51 pm 
Well, back more toward the original subject, Clear Blue Hawaii apparently makes a drybag with an integral solar panel, with the recharging adapters on the inside. They make a couple of other solar products, too.

http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/products ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:13 am 
acrosome wrote:
Well, back more toward the original subject, Clear Blue Hawaii apparently makes a drybag with an integral solar panel, with the recharging adapters on the inside. They make a couple of other solar products, too.

http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/products ... index.html

Oh, well... As if it wasn't enough hassle taking care of the solar panel itself :-) , - fixing it reliably on the deck (of a double only - I can't imagine this on a single), or taking it out of the storage and placing at the proper angle, and connecting whatever needs to be connected, and then packing it in again... Now you have to take care of that drybag too, placing it on the deck (doesn't sound good at all), or out in the sun on a campground (who is leaving their bags out in the sun, I wonder?), and then carefully packing it under deck, trying not to scratch the solar panel... Most electrical devices that a reasonable kayaker may carry don't need changing AA batteries for the duration of 7-10 day trip. Some - even longer (and some may need changing batteries once). May be using AA isn't too environmentally friendly, but I have them all rechargeable, carrying on long trips only one or two 4-packs of alcaline non-rechargeables with long shelf life as a back-up for the most crucial items, like GPS (my Icom M1V VHF has a rechargeable Li battery with incredibly long shelf life). So those few alcaline non-rechargeable AAs usually make it to a garbage bin at destination place (often working for hours on short trips at home before going to garbage).

When I go out paddling in a wilderness trip, I don't carry TV, DVD, laptop, etc - I am taking break from this all... In the past I used to carry my cellphone in Aquapack pouch on me on short daytrips. Now I'm purposely leaving it in the car. Because it is establishing unwanted associations in memory, when later in the evening I visualize the place, nice scenery etc, - and with the conversation that I suddenly had to carry on in that place, often against my will, totally unrelated and contrasting to that place. So now my will is - leaving it in the car :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I always carry a cellphone- but turned off. It's as much a part of emergency preparedness as a first-aid kit. I also carry a tiny weather radio to plan the next day's paddling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:20 pm 
Weather radio I can justify. I actually bought one of those all-band radios (Degen 1103, a.k.a. Kaito 1103 in the US - Chinese replica of Sony GR700), solely for weather reports where VHF weather channels are unavailable. Icom ICR2 (similar to Yaesu VR120) didn't work for me, - too small antenna, and not good enough reception in AM and SW bands. Kaito is bigger, though slightly smaller, lighter (and much cheaper) than similar Sony - the size of a pocket book, weight 1 lb or so. AM and SW reception is MUCH better than in tiny ICR2. Not waterproof, but with supplied suede pouch it can live safely in a drybag.

Cell phone... I donno... There is a temptation to turn it on and listen to voice mail, and then there could be a need to answer, - so this is still bad. I leave it ashore only on short day-paddles, 8 hours or less - retrieving any calls when I get to my car at the end of the day. On a weekend or multiday trip I sometimes take it with me (turned off), but then it is sometimes a problem to make that distress call (hopefully won't be needed), due to surrounding mountains and not enough transmitting towers in rural BC.

PDA for tides - no need, they are in my GPS.

This thread is continued under "Leaving the Electronic Stuff Behind":
viewtopic.php?t=1289&highlight=

Post subject: Rasmus and Solar Pack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:39 am 
We have tested the Solar Claw from Clear Blue Hawaii and it works great. It fits nicely on the deck and after half a (sunny) day it has the back-up battery fully charged.

The back-up connects to our telephone / GPS / iPod with a USB connector, and has enough juice to charge all three.

Morten B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:43 pm 
acrosome wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for solar panels to take on longer trips to recharge radios, GPS, etc? Specifically, and obviously, something that will tolerate saltwater well. (It would be nice to mount it on the rear deck so things could recharge while paddling.)

Thanks.

Inorder to revive this original thread:
I just received a 18.4 Amp Powerfilm along with a female cigarette adapter
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/ ... /index.htm

the primary reason for this is to keep the 12V battery on my small T@B camper topped up but I forsee being able to adapt this to for kayak and canoe trips.

I agree with Alm that it may be cumbersome and that a lot of batteries will last for a 2 week trip.
By way of example my Nikon 70S has been on a few two week+ trips along with an extra battery and I've never even seen the battery icon go below full on the first one.
My VHF radio has a Li-Ion battery rated for 16 h and I carry an AA battery pack as back up.
As far as usability, new technology doesn't require 100% direct light and the powerfilm rollable in my estimation is duable enough to roll up and pack away.

Hugh

Last edited by Hugh B on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:04 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

mje wrote:
You can certainly continuously trickle charge a battery with a solar cell while using it. I have a simple system with a 10 watt solar panel and a 7.5AH sealed gel cell I use with my portable amateur radio station.

QRP?

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:01 am 
Site Admin

R R R K ;-)

It's an SGC2020- 20 watts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:46 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

mje wrote:
R R R K ;-)

It's an SGC2020- 20 watts.

Cool - not real active myself but I'd love to build another Elecraft K2. I built one back when the serial numbers were under 600. Great, great rig.

For kayaking, I may have to build *something* to get active again. Not proficient at code so I'd rather avoid that.

My favorite mode was PSK31 but would require a computer or slick interface. If there were an interface, how cool would that be? Throw up a wire, tune it up and run QRP/PSK31. I've worked 5,000 miles into Salvador Brazil on 5 watts in that mode on a pretty simple antenna.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
AB0YZ here. I know that the ATS-? series of rigs from Steven Weber can operate PSK31 using a Pocket PC. No experience with that yet, as my ATS-3B is still in the 'to be built' pile.

I've not been very active on the air is the last year due to many other draws, and demands on my time.

Troy