Folding maintenance question

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

ChrHtg

Folding maintenance question

Post by ChrHtg »

I read that beeswax is good to apply on PVC and it 's protects ? Is it verified ? In addition, are you Waterproof fabrics including cotton ?

mje
Site Admin

Re: Folding maintenance question

Post by mje »

Ive never heard of using beeswax on a synthetic. Th best product for PVC and Hypalon hulls is 303 Aerospace Protectant. I use it in ALL my kayaks (I have five, I think... or maybe seven...), and the tires, hoses, and rubber parts on my cars. There's also 303 Fabric Protectant which will not waterproof fabric but will make it water repellant.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by chrstjrn »

I hadn't thought of using it on tires, Mike-- strikes me as a good idea. I applied it to my hull for the first time this spring-- amazing stuff.
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Several years ago I bought a used Folbot Aleut from a dealer who had obviously taken it in on trade and never looked at it, as it had a broken rib and a heavily oxidized hull, which I sprayed with 303. It removed the oxidation and made it look as black and shiny as a new hull.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

ChrHtg

Post by ChrHtg »

Thanks for advice i notice the 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Employment of beeswax was described here: "employment was described here : "So I returned and left in the sun.(he spoke of the skin of a old AERIUS)
After an hour, it had relaxed and was able to lock the structure. I tried inflating, it creaked everywhere I had the impression that the tube did not resist, but it was holding pressure and I could finish up the.
I then took the soap and I washed and degreased completely by blowing the rubber ends without much shot either. I did dry. Then I put the glue neoprene suit (this is the decathlon) is not very nice but that's the only thing that seemed elastic appropriate and durable.
After setting, I set several times beeswax with a cloth (to the floor), I remembered suddenly that my grandmother kept renovating and rubbers with.
It worked in hair. The flexible rubber is again well after this treatment. I ironed a dry cloth to make it shine and it was good. Then for storage before the dismount I dusted with talc the skin so that the rubber not glue together." (original in french)
It's for what i ask for other experience ... But apparently no one uses it...

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

Then again, several of us are struggling to figure out how to put an old skin back into service (having a new passat skin made is not an option ). So ideas are always welcome!
Chris T.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

ChrHtg

Post by ChrHtg »

Someone try this one ? VINTAGE SERIES NATURAL SHINE DRESSING

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Natural_Shi ... 201_16.htm

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

No... have you tried it?
Chris T.

ChrHtg

Post by ChrHtg »

No, i look at 303 Fabric Protectant in shop and i saw this other product. It's seems to be good !

Return to “Kayak Repair”