G11 rudder

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Gouthro
forum fanatic

G11 rudder

Post by Gouthro »

Hello everyone,
Earlier this summer i bought ( i thought) all the gear to rig my G11 for sailing. I had a paddling rudder which i thought would work. I am now thinking it is probably too small. Can i bolt an addition to it? Or, simply take the old blade out and bolt in a new blade, keeping all the other equipment? Or, am i better to buy a new rudder?
Thanks g
Attachments
rudder2.JPG
rudder2.JPG (43.37 KiB) Viewed 989 times
rudder3.JPG
rudder3.JPG (26.7 KiB) Viewed 989 times
rudder1.jpg
rudder1.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 989 times

GrnMtns
faltbootemeister

Re: G11 rudder

Post by GrnMtns »

Yes add 20% more blade in front of pivot point to create a "balanced" sailing blade. Add a bungied down haul line so the rudder won't "swim" back while sailing and creating extra drag which also makes it harder to steer.
Best,
Jon

Klepper A II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

Gouthro
forum fanatic

Post by Gouthro »

thanks very much, Jon.

Would I be better to cut a new piece of aluminum to replace the existing blade, or can I bolt a section onto the existing blade?

also, do I need to make the blade longer?

thanks very much,
g

added later:
I imagine when you say add 20 percent more blade in front, you mean facing the stern of the boat?

How exactly do you arrange a bungie down haul?
thanks g

GrnMtns
faltbootemeister

Post by GrnMtns »

Either way is fine. Lots of folks bolt on extra material. Looks a little different but works about the same. A balanced blade needs to be forward of the rudder pivot point ~ towards bow. longer is not necessary but 2" OK. Too much length creates other problems.
Here is a pic of a blade showing what I mean with down haul line near waterline in third pic to keep blade down in water. Bungie keeps damage to a minimum if you hit something : https://sailyourkayak.com/sailing-rudder-kit/
Best,
Jon

Klepper A II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

Gouthro
forum fanatic

Post by Gouthro »

Thanks jon,
I see it clearly. Just a question. In looking over your rudders it seems like the kayak rudders have the extra 20 per cent of the blade forward, while the canoe rudders have the extra material towards the back. Is there a reason for that?
Thanks g

GrnMtns
faltbootemeister

Post by GrnMtns »

Good Catch,
Canoes have a tall stern and the blade can sometimes strike the hull. The blade can also be flipped or modified per each hull.
The best steering is when they are balanced. The GII needs all the help it can get. :~)
Best,
Jon

Klepper A II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

Return to “Sailing Gear”