WTB Klepper Aerius / double kayak

For selling folding kayaks and related items. No eBay links, and no commercial ads, please. Please include an asking price with all For Sale posts. And please mark sold items as SOLD in the header!

(If you make a sale, how about making a small donation to the site?)

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Avh
paddler

WTB Klepper Aerius / double kayak

Post by Avh »

I'm looking to purchase a Klepper Aerius / or other model double kayak. I would prefer one with a sailing rig but open to the kayak alone.

It doesn't have to be in perfect condition, even if it has a broken rib or stretcher I can repair. Likewise if the deck is ripped, I have an industrial sewing machine. I do ask the hull be in usable condition.

I've been taking friends & others out on the water introducing them to the wood framed/ skinned kayaks. Once I explain the history- the illustrious vintage ads and how they're made, part of the trip for these newbies is they want these kayaks to last.

This boat will be loved.

Feel free to email avanhoek3@gmail.com

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: WTB Klepper Aerius / double kayak

Post by john allsop »

Well you seem to have a choice right now, there is the Folbot and the Klepper Aerius 20, but I think the Aerius 20 might not break down enough. I have the sales brouchure from the 1970s and it,s a stronger A2, the Folbot G2 is about the same dimensions as the Klepper.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

There are a number on sale on eBay, and I've seen some others for sale as well.

You should also list this ad under the "Wanted" section of this site.

Avh
paddler

Post by Avh »

Greetings John A,

It's not clear if you have the Klepper Aerius 20 & the folbot G2? If these are yours, feel free to email me and we can discuss further.

Thank you, Andre

Avh
paddler

Post by Avh »

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your mention of possible sales on ebay. Some of the sellers are not interested in shipping and I wish to be respectful, so I don't bid /buy if it's not a successful sale for both of us.

When I get a chance I will look up the wanted section as you suggested.

With appreciation,

Andre

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

A pity they won't ship, but I do understand the issue(s) there.

If you can find one in your region, they are usually worth the drive, and if you have the time and a vehicle with good gas mileage, or can get a rental, the adventure of picking one up may be rather run too.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

Avh
paddler

Post by Avh »

Dear John Sand,

Thank you for this mention of this klepper kayak.

It turns out it was not the Klepper Aerius I. On closer inspection it was the klepper T9. The couple were selling it for their friend, a retired folding kayaker. I paid what they asked and was happy to get this no longer made klepper T9.

Here was the problem which many of us may encounter taking on a vintage boat:

The boat was in a barn left assembled for 15 years or so. As such, when we tried to take it apart the rubber had actually welded to the wood skeletal frame. One seam where the deck meets the hull ripped. Which tells me the stitching has become Sun / aged worn. I can repair this but I will also try to add stitching with my industrial sewing machine to the rest of the hull and deck seams.

To take a vintage boat out into open Waters without this precaution, could be disastrous.

A frame and hull that is welded together from 12 or more years of never being dissembled:

Towards the cockpit there's enough room in clearance to gently pry apart the rubber and wood. The problem is in both noses of the Bow and Stern. From years of working with various vintage materials, you literally have to crawl into the skin and remove that small triangular cross rib. This will create the clearance to dislodge the nose from the hull.

This is a tricky process and you need to proceed meditatively.

Overall, the boat did suffer damage in unpealing from the frame. It has some alligatoring but still pliable skin. I think it's good to go.

If I was a Syrian refugee I'd rather take my chances with this vintage klepper T9 kayak then hand over my money to the pirate money users.

My first trip with this boat:

The friends selling The klepper for the retired boater "Rob" are antique dealers so we hit it off right away. They saw when the seam from the hull and the deck ripped, I didn't balk / become a crybaby but rather I asked something about this former owner Rob. It turns out he did many things with his life and he was a scientist that did studies on Antarctica. I plan to pick his brain to learn some of his war stories and what this boat meant for him.

This is my first trip with this boat.

André van Hoek

smartykatwinks
recent arrival

Post by smartykatwinks »

I have an Aerius II in Texas. I've tried posting but can't seem to get it done. Would you like more info or is it too far?

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

Very cool story AVH! Thanks for sharing.

OldManSpeed
recent arrival

Post by OldManSpeed »

Hello, I have a Aerius Quattro II that I could be convinced to part with.

Return to “For Sale: Folding Kayaks and accessories”