Klepper Hull to Deck Stitching and Repair

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

Rob
faltbootemeister

Klepper Hull to Deck Stitching and Repair

Post by Rob »

Looks like I just lucked into a new to me, Aerius 2, but it needs some repairs to make it serviceable. The hull is of 1990s vintage, and looks really great.

According to the present owner, the cotton stitching rotted, due to a high humidity environment when stored, so it needs to be replaced.

Has anyone done this, and should I replace the stitching with a more robust and presumably durable, synthetic thread?

If so, what type and strength/thickness should I use, and will I need an awl, and/or any other special tools (heavy duty needles, pad to keep from spearing my hand) to do this with?

The owner thinks I can just use the existing holes in the deck and hypalon, so it will be a bit easier - apparently this is on the two, 10' long seams, along the cockpit.

Also, it will need some metal fittings replaced, so where is the best place to get those in the USA - Klepper USA, or Long Haul, or other source (eBay, or others)?

Should I go with the standard (I believe) aluminum, or go with stainless steel, if available for the latter?

Finally, some of the wood may need to be re-varnished, but apparently most is in decent condition.

Should I use a thinner varnish to saturate the wood first, and then a thicker marine grade over top of that?

From the bit I've read, that seems like it might be best.

Any good source for a replacement spray-skirt, and what material should I consider (standard cotton, like on the deck, or other), if I want to use it on the ocean, as well as on lakes too?

Any other tips, and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Klepper Hull to Deck Stitching and Repair

Post by john allsop »

I can,t remember the cotton or cord that is used to stich the deck to the hull, but contact clark craft in the US, they sell the Percy Blandford plans for his folding kayaks and ridged canvas covered kayaks, I am sure they will help. They have lots of plans for kayaks and boats plus supplies of materials. For metal fitting either Klepper USA or Longhaul would be good, I would buy new. For my home made spray covers I used vinyl which was quite thick held on to the Klepper coaming with stainless steel press fasteners, in the case of the Folbot I used patches of Velcro to hold it on. For the tunnel part that goes round the body I used a nylon material, can,t remember it,s name. For varnish I gave the wood a light rub then used the only outdoor varnish I could get, if on the internet you get good info then follow the instructions.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Rob, have you googled, thread for sewing canvas kayaks?, I have and found a few places in the UK so it should be available in the US. There are various types including waxed.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Thank you for the replies and info.

I've just started doing a little research, some of which seems to be conflicting.

Some recommend cotton, which swells when wet apparently, to fill the holes and seal them.

Another says that causes issues too, since the thread can wick moisture, leading to premature rotting. That's apparently what happened to the current threads, over time, which is why it needs repairing.

I think I'll contact Long Haul and Klepper to see what they say too.

I was thinking a synthetic thread might be good, but hadn't thought about the need for it/them to swell to fill the holes to seal them. I guess a sealant applied inside would work too, and I suspect it might last longer, if I decide to go that route. Probably need to go with a thicker thread in order to better fill the holes without swelling, if I go with a synthetic option.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Rob I would just contact Longhaul, they will probably even sell you the thread they use, Klepper will be a bit of a pain as I think their boats are now made by Wayland. Get cracking, time flies. After sewing I would just rub some thing like a water repellent white grease, only a small amount along the stiching and wipe any surplus off you are only filling the thread holes although I don,t really think it will be needed. What I use on my metal parts and on the Folbot tubes is Silverhook water repellent white grease, I don,t know if this can harm the material.
Last edited by john allsop on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Yea, I was hoping they might carry replacement thread, and hopefully sell it too, or at least let me know what I need.

Return to “Kayak Repair”